Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power to CPU/GPU, but nothing else?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vixilix

vixilix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

When I press the power button on the case the computer sounds like it powers up but nothing happens, the monitor doesn't react at all, anything plugged in looks like it powers up for a second (e.g. 360 remote) but then goes dead.

On closer inspection inside - 
The CPU fan is going 
The GPU is lit up as normal
However the back fan isn't moving and there's no light on the cases power indicators.

The case must be linked up right since the power button works? 

I've tried unplugging/replugging the power button/led/reset switch section, the case fan option and the main 24(?) pin power on the motherboard, but still the same once booted up

It was working fine until it went into sleep mode today, then refused to get out of it and is just like this once restarted...

Could any one advise? 

Many Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

Did you manually turn it off when it wouldn't come out of sleep mode? Try pulling the power cord out of the back, holding the power button down for at least ten seconds and putting the cord back in and trying it again.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 vixilix

vixilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

I;m afraid there's no change after trying that :(

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

Try booting into safe mode; what happens?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 vixilix

vixilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

Try booting into safe mode; what happens?

Hi,

The monitor has no response to the PC at all and the keyboard isn't lit up so I'm not sure that's possible?

I've tried a different monitor and keyboard as well

I'm not sure it's launching to a part where I can do this?

Kind Regards

Jenni

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

This could be caused by a bad ram stick. If your computer has a speaker you would hear one beep when it starts up normally. If it does have a speaker, try removing all the ram. This will force the pc to give a series of error beeps. If that happens you will know that you have one or more bad sticks. You can then put them back one at a time until the pc fails to start and you will know what stick is bad.

If it does not have a speaker, remove one stick of ram and try to start it. If that does not work, replace that stick in the slot it came from and remove another one. If it has more than two, try each one of them, using just one stick at a time.

Before removing any ram, make a note of which slots they are in and replace them in the same slots.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

The monitor has no response to the PC at all

Yes, I realize this. I guess I should have been more informative and provided more details.

Safe Mode is accessed by tapping an FKey (usually F8, but not always) on boot. A menu shows offering several options, Safe Mode being one of them. If you cannot even access that menu (your monitor remains dark) that tells us that you may have a low level hardware failure. Then we take it from there. I do not think memory is your problem here, but if you want to follow Leurgy's method above that is fine.

Another test to try is to reset the BIOS.  Power down; unplug your computer from the wall socket; push the power button in the front of the case and hold it for 10 seconds to clear the capacitors on the mainboard; open the side of the case. Remove the BIOS battery (it is the size of a quarter and is silver and thin). It is in a holder, face up and easy to see. Just move a small restraining wire and it pops out; most computers have a small jumper that clears the CMOS settings in the BIOS; move the Clear CMOS jumper per your manual instructions, usually from one set of pins to another, wait 10 seconds, then move back into original position. Replace the battery (but do not reverse the polarity accidentally) and try to boot. Now...if your board does not have a clear jumper, then skip that step. Just remove the battery with the power cord disconnected and wait 60 seconds.

Post back with results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 December 2015 - 08:18 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 vixilix

vixilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

yayyy.

Pulled out both and it came up normally (with beeping)

Put one back in and it was OK with it,

Tried the other one and voila it was OK with that too

It's now up and running with both RAM in, recognising them both too.

Maybe one of them was loose or something? I'm just very happy it's running

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

That's great vixilix, glad we were able to help. 

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

I'm happy to say I was wrong...it was the memory! Great! That is the first time I saw bad memory prevent a BIOS boot, usually there is a beep signal that indicates bad "something" so in that case memory would be the first suspect.

Enjoy your "new" computer!

#11 vixilix

vixilix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi,

An update to this topic,

This is still happening at random times... and works again by itself randomly as well....

It is  no longer to do with 'sleep' mode, just whenever it is powered on

Could anyone help?

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Considering that messing around with the RAM fixed it, I would be inclined to believe it is an error with the RAM or motherboard. Try doing what you did before to get it working again, then make a disk with memtest86+. Boot from the disk and try running some tests to see what results you get.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

If you don't want to mess around with burning a cd and booting from it you can run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic as described here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users