Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Win 10 pc to reciever

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techdumdum

techdumdum

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

I wasn't sure if I posted this in the right section, sorry if I got it wrong I'm new here. AnywayI have a brand new Alienware Area 51 pc and use my sony bravia 4k tv as a monitor. My issue is I wan't to pass the 4k video signal through my Onkyo reciever so I can get 5.1 surround sound when I game. I tried connecting my pc directly to the reciever and I got sound but only 1080p video. Would connecting my pc directly to my tv with HDMI and using an optical audio cable from pc to reciever be an option?  Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by techdumdum, 15 December 2015 - 04:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:05 AM

It sounds like your AV receiver is not compatible with a 4K video signal.

Depending on what connections are available on your computer & AV receiver, & what decoders are available in your receiver, you should be able to connect the PC (audio only) directly to the receiver - possibly using a optical digital connection as you have suggested or possibly by using analogue connections - if your receiver has a 5.1 direct input option (probably using RCA/phono connectors on the AV receiver & cables like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-3-5mm-Jack-to-2-RCA-Cable-Twin-Phono-Stereo-Long-Lead-Audio-GOLD-1m-/251166557066?hash=item3a7ab1838a:g:L4gAAOSwDNdVg-pV to connect to the PC sound outputs).

#3 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with an optical audio cable. Will the sound less clear when using optical vs hdmi? 

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

I would expect sound quality to be at least as good via optical as it would by HDMI. Both connections are digital, & I would expect there to be less chance of any signal degradation/interference when using the optical connection.

#5 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

I got my cable in the mail and connected it but still no sound. I'm not sure what settings I need on my computer a receiver to make this work.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

Computer - go to Control Panel / Sound / Playback - & select your optical digital output as the default device - it could be labelled "SPDIF" or  "Realtek Digital Output" or something similar (you will probably have "Speakers" or "Digital Display Audio" selected at the moment).

AV receiver - you will need to look at your user manual. The Onkyo receiver I looked up required you to allocate the digital input to a named source & then to select that source name. Without knowing exactly what receiver you have it is not possible to give you any better advice.

Edited by rqt, 18 December 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#7 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

My receiver is an Onkyo S3500. Thanks for helping me out this far rqt

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Onkyo S3500 manual is here:-

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S3500&class=Systems

Inputs are shown on page En-10 - I would connect your optical cable to item 1 (DIGITAL IN COAXIAL and OPTICAL jacks) - Optical 1 (GAME). Then when you select "GAME" input  you should get your game sound. (if not see on screen setup - pages En-37 to En-40 to check that the Optical 1 input is still assigned to "GAME"). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users