Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will sometimes get stuck during shutdown

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 davesp

davesp

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

I'm struggling with this, hope you guys can help.

Sometimes when I go to Start -> Power -> Shut down, it displays the "Shutting down..." window, then the screen goes black, but the laptop won't turn off completely. That is, the WiFi, Bluetooth and Power (light bulb) indicators are still on (and the battery indicator too if plugged), and I have to force (power button long press) the laptop to shut down. I can also turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth devices using the keyboard at this stage (with FN button). And if I keep the laptop this way long enough (unplugged), my battery will be completely drained.

I say sometimes because this seems to just happen randomly. I could shut down my laptop at some point and it will turn off just fine, but a few hours later when I shut it down again it will get stuck.

I googled and tried everything I could come up with but nothing seems to work. I tried 1) taking the laptop apart, disconnecting and reconnecting literally everything I could see, 2) cleaning my laptop, 3) resetting Windows and BIOS to factory settings, 4) replacing my SSD and installing Windows from scratch, and 5) formatting my HDD. Googling for solutions I mostly found people suggesting disabling Fast Boot so obviously I did that too.

The only change I made before this started happening (at least that's what I remember) was disabling hibernation (cmd admin -> powercfg -h off), so this may be related, but I'm not sure. This seems hardware-related which really bums me out, but I can also say each time I formatted/re-installed, I only checked the shutdown process after installing all my software, so maybe it is software related? Although I haven't installed any new software before this started happening (but did disable hibernation as I said).

My specs:
Gigabyte P34G v2 laptop
Windows 10 Home (1511, 10586.29)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
12GB DDR3 1600 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Samsung 850 EVO mSATA SSD
WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 1TB HDD

Please help.

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

Wait until the next time it happens.

Then force a shutdown by holding down the power button until it completely turns off.

Then turn it back on and generate these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:52 AM

Will do, thanks!

#4 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

So for the last couple of days this has been happening all the time, not randomly like before. Unfortunately I was very busy so I only had time to run the tests (Event Viewer log + steps 1-4 here) now (please see attached).

Also please see below for my system information:

1) Gigabyte P34G v2 Laptop

2) Current OS: Windows 10 Home 64 (1511 build 10586.36)

3) Original OS: Windows 8.1 64

4) Original OS was OEM but current OS was installed from scratch on a new (not migrated) SSD

5) Age of system: 1 year, 3 months

6) Age of OS installation: 2 weeks

7) CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz

8) Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

9) System manufacturer: Gigabyte

10) Model number: (01)04719331916374(21)GEG7D8500002

I'll run these in the meantime:

1) Driver Verifier.
2) HDD Diagnostics. 
3) RAM test.

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

The system looks to be having problems at the BIOS/UEFI level.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FB05) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 4 Windows Update hotfixes installed, most systems with build 10586 seem to have more.  Please double check to ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html

Network driver (?wifi?) dates from 2013.  Please update to the latest, W10 compatible version

While at the manufacturer's support website, update any other drivers that you suspect might be outdated (when in doubt - update it).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:12 AM

Thank you for your help.

BIOS
I checked here and it lists my BIOS version as the latest version, although it is dated on the website from 2015, not 2014. I could download and re-install. Should I do that?

Windows Hotfixes
I checked Windows Update and there was a Windows Defender update available so I installed it (Windows version still says 1511 build 10586.36) but nothing else (I rechecked after installing the Defender update). Is there somewhere else I could check to see if there are any hotfixes I'm missing?

Daemon Tools
I uninstalled Daemon Tools (main program directory -> uninst.exe) and then downloaded SPTD for Windows 10 64 bit (SPTD2inst-v207-x64.exe), but when I launched it, it said "No SPTD version was detected" and the "Uninstall" option was grayed out. Available options were "Install" and "Cancel". Was I supposed to uninstall Daemon Tools with this .exe? I also followed the manual instructions in the link you provided, but was not able to find the sptd registry folder they were referring to. I also ran ccleaner (regular clean + registry clean) right after uninstalling Daemon Tools, so maybe that's why this happened.

Network adapter driver update
My Device Manager lists two network adapters:
(1) Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC 7260
(2) Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Intel driver version was 18.11.0.8 (6/22/2015) and Realtek driver version was 10.1.505.2015 (5/5/2015). I updated the Intel driver to v18.30.0.9 (11/3/2015) using the Device Manger built-in "Update Driver..." option. The Realtek driver is up to date.

I'd like to point out that before I checked Device Manager, I ran Intel Driver Update Utility (v2.2.0.6), and it listed my Intel Wireless driver as out of date, but suggested I update to v17.1.1531.1764 (actually it still does, after updating to v18.30.0.9). It also lists my currently installed Intel HD Graphics driver v20.19.15.4300 as out of date and suggests I update to v15.33.38.64.4252. Odd.

Other driver updates
I finally ran my manufacturer's driver update software (Gigabyte Smart Update v2.8.7) and Driver Checker (v2.7.5) to see if there are any other driver updates. Both said all my drivers are up to date. I then checked all devices in Device Manager and Windows was able to update the following:
(1) Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® to v18.1.1546.2762 (11/12/2015)
(2) Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #1 - 8C10 to v10.1.1.13 (10/28/2015)
(3) Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #2 - 8C12 to v10.1.1.13 (10/28/2015)
(4) Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #3 - 8C14 to v10.1.1.13 (10/28/2015)
(5) Intel® HM87 LPC Controller - 8C4B to v10.1.1.13 (10/28/2015)
(Windows asked me to restart at this point so I did)
(6) Intel® Xeon® processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01 to v10.1.1.13 (10/28/2015)
(7) Intel® Xeon® processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0C04 to v10.1.1.13 (10/28/2015)

Driver Verifier
Driver Verifier was still running (I think it's been about 12 hours) when I restarted (after updating Intel drivers). Is it still running after the restart or should I configure it again? So far there were no BSODs.

Thanks.

Update 1: I just checked and the computer still gets stuck during shutdown.

Update 2: I just launched Windows in Safe Mode and when I shut down windows the laptop turned off just fine. I never thought to try this until now.

Edited by davesp, 22 December 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:30 AM

No sense in updating the BIOS again.  It's the version number that's significant.  The "wrapper" that contains the BIOS update and the other programs needed to install it can easily have a different date.

The sptd driver is no longer used in Daemon Tools.  I suggest removing it just in case you have an older version installed.

It is probably the most common program that I see associated with BSOD's - and has been for many years.

Do not use the in-built update feature in Device Manager.  While it's come a long way in recent years, it's still not as reliable as doing it manually (see the next paragraph for more about this).

The problem with it is that it's only updated when the manufacturer decides to do provide an update to Microsoft - and AFAIK, Microsoft does not test these drivers, and accepts them "as is"

Also, for example, HP an upload an update to a Qualcomm network driver, while Qualcomm hasn't uploaded the same update.

If HP doesn't change the Device ID (leaves it at the Qualcomm Device ID), then it'll be the same as the Qualcomm device (and that will enable installing it on any device that uses the Qualcomm Device ID) 

OEM updaters vary in effectiveness.  I prefer to check the OEM website and compare versions manually.  This is not often practical - so in the absence of any significant evidence of problems it's probably OK to use the Gigabyte updater.  The fact that you were able to update through Device Manager after running the Gateway Updater shows the problems with the system.  In this case it's most likely that 1)  Intel released an update that Gigabyte didn't think was necessary, and 2) that Intel uploads later updates to the Microsoft Windows Update download site (which is seeming to be an improvement by Intel).  Yes, all this is very confusing - even to me, and I've been doing this for years!

You can check Driver Verifier's status, open up verifier.exe and select "Display existing settings".  The window that opens will tell you which settings are enabled.

Update 2:  This is a great clue!  Try a clean boot to see if that gets stuck or not.

A clean boot is similar to Safe Mode - but you disable things manually.  Here's how:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

Edited by usasma, 22 December 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#8 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hi usasma,

Thank you again for your time.

Clean boot

Done. I narrowed the shutdown issue to one of the system services. When I have everything else enabled but the "Load system services" option, the laptop turns off completely. I'm not sure though how to proceed from here. Are these system services the ones listed in services.msc? because there are hundreds of those, and most are enabled.

SPTD driver removal

How can I remove it? When I launch the SPTD for Windows 10 64 bit installer, it says "No SPTD version was detected" and "Uninstall" is grayed out. Doesn't that mean SPTD has already been removed? Also I can't find sptd.sys anywhere.

Driver updates

I see. So your advice is to revert back to earlier versions according to what is listed in my manufacturer's update software (or on their website)?

Driver verifier, HDD diagnostics, RAM tests

Driver verifier was running for about 24 hours. There were no BSODs. I deleted the settings. My SSD is brand new (not migrated) so I guess I can skip HDD diagnostics. I'll do the RAM tests next.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Did you disable all services after hiding the Microsoft services (when setting up the clean boot)?

If so, then that means that the problem is with the OS.

That means that you'll have to try:

- DISM and SFC.EXE (see below)

- and then Reset using the Keep My Files option

SPTD - don't worry about it.  It's most likely that you have a later version and the SPTD driver was never installed.

Drivers - my advice is to use the latest driver version that's compatible with your system.  Do not revert to earlier versions.  This stuff gets awfully complicated very fast.  Asking too many questions will result in you having the 1,000 yard stare while I merrily continue to explain things that I'm passionate about (it happens at work a lot!).  I'm not trying to discourage you asking questions - just trying to let you know that you're asking things that have taken me years to figure out (and it's just not real easy to explain them if you don't have the years of background in researching this stuff).

AFAIK, there aren't any diagnostics for SSD's.  We tend to diagnose them by seeing errors in the file system.

Here's the DISM/SFC stuff:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

#10 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

Yes, I did. I first unchecked "Load startup items" and disabled all non-Microsoft services, then rebooted, then proceeded to shutdown, which got me stuck. I then forced a shutdown, turned laptop back on and unchecked "Load system services" too, rebooted, then the shutdown went fine. The third time I enabled all non-Microsoft services and checked "Load startup items" (but left "Load system services" unchecked still), rebooted, and the shutdown went fine again.

I did all 3 DISM tests but everything seemed to be fine. I got this message after each test: "No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully."

I also did the SFC test and it seemed fine ("Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations").

Do you think I should still reset using the Keep My Files option?

Thanks.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

Wait and see if the problem returns.

If so, then try the Reset with the Keep My Files option

#12 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Thank you usasma! My laptop shuts down just fine now.

I'm not sure what the problem was though. I'm afraid I'll probably end up causing it to reappear after I install my apps and update my drivers. I'll try and do some shutdowns here and there after I make changes and see if I can pinpoint the problem.

#13 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

And it's back. But I think I know what caused it. All I did since the reset was:

1) Update Windows (until there were no more updates).

2) Re-install Chrome.

3) Re-install Free Download Manager.

4) Disable Hibernation (cmd admin -> powercfg -h off).

I turned the laptop off each time I made one of these changes and it was fine until I disabled Hibernation (I shutdown right before I disabled it and it was fine). Now it won't shutdown. I'll try and see what happens if I turn it on again.

Update: Yep, it's Hibernation being disabled. I tried one more shutdown while Hibernation was disabled, got stuck. Rebooted, enabled Hibernation (cmd admin -> powercfg -h on), laptop will shutdown OK.

Do you think there's a way to solve this without turning Hibernation back on?

Edited by davesp, 27 December 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:01 AM

I'm not real good with powercfg options.   You may want to post over in the Windows 10 forum for additional help with that.

Have you turned off Fast Startup in the power options? Did that help?

Beyond that, I have to suspect that it's the hybrid startup/shutdown that's causing this.

That means you'll have to update anything that affects startup/shutdown (which, nowadays, is almost everything)

So, ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates - and don't skimp on the optional ones.

Then visit the Gigabyte website (again) for your model and download and install ALL of the updates there (DO NOT USE the smart updater).  This may be some extra, unneeded work - but it's the easiest way to be sure that you have all of the updated versions (for example, the Intel graphics driver was updated on 09 Dec, and the smart update utility was updated on 24 Dec

Then go back to Windows Update and see if it has any driver updates.  Make a System Restore point before installing them.

EDIT:  since it didn't give problems in SafeMode - it's most likely a 3rd party driver causing this.

Can you try a clean boot and see if that fixes it also?  Here's how:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If it does fix it, then re-enable the stuff by ½'s until you locate the offending program.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 28 December 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#15 davesp

davesp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

Thanks again.

Fast Startup

Well, well. I disabled Fast Startup (Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable -> unchecked "Turn on fast startup") and my laptop can't shutdown. I think when you disable Hibernation it also disables Fast Startup (because when Hibernation is disabled the Fast Startup option doesn't show in Power Options), so I guess the real culprit is Fast Startup being disabled.

Website Driver Versions

It appears the Reset w/ Keep my Files option didn't delete my already updated drivers (which were updated via Smart Update before I reset). Most of the driver versions I already have installed are OK, that is they are the same as the ones on the Gigabyte website (because most of the driver versions that appear on Smart Update are the same as the ones on the website), but some of the versions I have installed are newer than the website versions (Intel Rapid Storage, Intel Management Engine, NVIDIA Graphic, and Bluetooth). I suppose I shouldn't revert those? Anyway, Windows Update didn't have any driver updates for me.

Clean Boot

I already did that a while back and found that disabling System Services solved the problem (while everything else is enabled). Not sure why do it again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users