Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows Insider Preview"- Can I Uninstall it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bsloan1960

bsloan1960

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

This morning, 12/15/2015 I turned on my computer and found a sky blue screen displaying something like this, "Your files are right where you left them"... and it just sat like that for 2 minutes- no keys would work. Then the message changed to something like, "We added new exciting features". Then after about 1 minute a message showed up saying, "Don't shut off your PC".

So. I finally get to my desktop screen and the 1st message I get is "Your Netgear App had been removed, it is not compatible with windows 10" (I've had windows 10 for several months).

OK. So no I'm irritated. I don't know what this update(?) is- and right off the bat I'm wanting to get rid of it. I found articles about how to prevent future updates of this nature- but not any about how to uninstall This One

1) Should I keep it and just accept that it removed my Netgear interface App, along with whatever surprises are waiting for me- or do most people want to remove it

2) How do I roll back to yesterday and get rid of it?

3) What the heck is this? Is this just the usual updates we always get over the years with all previous windows versions- or something different ("Preview")?

Thanks!

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

You need to check your Windows Update Advanced Options and make sure that you don't have it set to get Preview builds:

[attachment=174266:Update_Advanced_Options.jpg]

After that's off, I'd just leave well enough alone if you're not having issues.  The Preview Builds just give you advance copies (which, of course, means beta [sometimes early beta] features) of what will be coming out in later updates.

If you really want to go back to your prior build, use the option available to you in the Recovery pane of Update & Security Settings:

[attachment=174267:Update&Security-Recovery2_after_30_days.jpg]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

I belong to the Windows 10 Insider Program and there was no new software or packages released today. There have not been any new releases for weeks, so this is not in any way related to any Microsoft Insider Program. You can simply Google the number of the Update and find out what it was and when it was released, but for sure there has not been anything new for weeks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

I belong to the Windows 10 Insider Program and there was no new software or packages released today. There have not been any new releases for weeks, so this is not in any way related to any Microsoft Insider Program. You can simply Google the number of the Update and find out what it was and when it was released, but for sure there has not been anything new for weeks.

That's Odd. I wonder if it was something malicious

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

It sounds like it may be a late download and install of the Fall Update.  I simply keyed in on the mention of "Preview," but the behavior described is entirely consistent with what happened/is happening upon installs of the Fall Update.

If that's the case then, unless it's giving some sort of major problems on the box in question, I'd leave well-enough alone.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

That's Odd. I wonder if it was something malicious

OK. I'll go to Google and see what the latest update is called/ numbered. Once I do that how / where in my PC do I look for it to tell me which update name/number it is currently running so I can see if they match?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Open a command prompt and enter the command, "winver"

You should get a screen that looks like this:

[attachment=174269:2015-12-15_Winver_Output.jpg]

I believe the 1511 version and .29 build number are current production for both Home and Pro, 32 and 64 bit.  My machine is Home 64-bit.

~ Lauren Bacall

#8 bsloan1960

bsloan1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

Thanks- did it... got it... it matches. Funny thing though- the 1st message I got this morning after this update was "We have removed your Net Genie it is no longer compatible". Well, I typed in the 192.168.... etc and up came the Net Genie. BTW- it is frustrating to be so computer illiterate. I'm glad there are people like you folks to help. How The Heck Do You Guys Know All This Stuff???????!!!!!!!!

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

attachicon.gif2015-12-15_Winver_Output.jpg

I believe the 1511 version and .29 build number are current production for both Home and Pro, 32 and 64 bit.  My machine is Home 64-bit.

That is not how you look up an update number at all. Right now I am on Linux, but really you have to go to settings, updates, advanced options then update history. All you did was show him how to find out what version of Windows 10 he is running, which has absolutely no relationship whatsoever to the updates that people receive. I receive maybe 100 updates a week but the version number only changes about once every two or three weeks. The udate number is in the update history.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

bsloan

attachicon.gif2015-12-15_Winver_Output.jpg

That is not how you look up an update number at all. Right now I am on Linux, but really you have to go to settings, updates, advanced options then update history. All you did was show him how to find out what version of Windows 10 he is running, which has absolutely no relationship whatsoever to the updates that people receive. I receive maybe 100 updates a week but the version number only changes about once every two or three weeks. The udate number is in the update history.

Rocky,

Sorry, but what he wanted to know, and that was clear, was what had installed.  Just based on the information presented it was one of the major updates, and the latest one was the Fall Update (1511).

I wasn't looking to get him to find the KB number because that wouldn't have answered the question clearly being asked.  Sometimes one has to read between the lines and not be a literalist.

~ Lauren Bacall

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Thanks- did it... got it... it matches. Funny thing though- the 1st message I got this morning after this update was "We have removed your Net Genie it is no longer compatible". Well, I typed in the 192.168.... etc and up came the Net Genie. BTW- it is frustrating to be so computer illiterate. I'm glad there are people like you folks to help. How The Heck Do You Guys Know All This Stuff???????!!!!!!!!

You probably never used the Net Genie application at all in the past.  What you're describing, entering the IP address of your modem-router in a web browser and bringing up the main control screen for same, is separate from the applications or apps that might have been downloaded for it.

I always fiddle with my modem-router in precisely the same way you do and have never used any of the application software that might have come with it.  When I had the option I didn't install it.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users