Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Force HP Bios Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

how do i create a USB stick that will force a BIOS update at startup?

i have downloaded the BIOS and extracted the files, but how do i make a USB to boot from and force the update?

i have included a pic of the files extracted

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

If there is a legitimate UEFI/BIOS update for your particular hardware HP should have a fully (or almost fully) automated BIOS flash program in the downloads area for your computer, with instructions.

You need to consult the HP support site, looking specifically on the page for your specific machine.  Here's what it looks like for mine:

Attached File  01-Main_Support_15-g035wm.jpg   121.39KB   0 downloads

As you can see, there is a BIOS update that just came out a few days ago (thanks for making me check - I haven't in a while):

Attached File  02-HP_2015-12_BIOS_Update_15-g035wm.jpg   84.01KB   0 downloads

Upon clicking "Download" I am offered the option to do a pure download or to use the "Download & Install Assistant."  When available, I always choose the latter:

Attached File  03-HP_Downloads_Options.jpg   98.56KB   0 downloads

Once the BIOS Update Finishes Downloading, you get the Install Now option:

Attached File  04-HP_Download_And_Install_Assistant.jpg   50.4KB   0 downloads

Attached File  05-HP_Download_And_Install_Assistant_Install_Now.jpg   50.95KB   0 downloads

After Choosing "Install Now,"  you get this parade of screens while the BIOS Update Program does its thing:

Attached File  BIOS_Install_Screen_01.jpg   63.09KB   0 downloads

Attached File  BIOS_Install_Screen_02.jpg   93.01KB   0 downloads

I missed capturing the third screen due to it's speed of display and my own fat-fingering of Alt+PrtSc

Attached File  BIOS_Install_Screen_04.jpg   42.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  BIOS_Install_Screen_05.jpg   49.97KB   1 downloads

Attached File  BIOS_Install_Screen_07.jpg   30.04KB   0 downloads

Attached File  BIOS_Install_Screen_08.jpg   37.46KB   0 downloads

Now, after closing all the programs I had open, this is what's left showing on my desktop immediately before hitting the "Restart Now" button:

Attached File  Desktop_Just_Before_Restart.jpg   188.65KB   1 downloads

Then, your system restarts (for the first time) and you'll get a series of screens either exactly like these or somewhat like them:

Attached File  01-BIOS_Update_after_Reboot.jpg   42.36KB   0 downloads

Attached File  02-BIOS_Progress_after_Reboot.jpg   120.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  03-BIOS_Verify_after_Reboot.jpg   64.81KB   1 downloads

Now the system restarts and goes through the process of actually flashing BIOS memory during the boot process.  You'll see update status shown as a blue screen in the middle of a black field:

Then your system will go through rebooting the rest of the way like it usually does.

Attached Files

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

thanks for that, much appreciated,

i have an HP with a corrupt bios, so it will not boot,

im trying to make a bootable USB stick using a dell,

when i download the driver package from HP (onto the dell), i double click to run it,

it decompresses/extracts all the files to the dell, then the install wizard comes up and wants to install it on the Dell, which i obviously decline,

i am not getting the option to create a bootable USB

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

mikey11,

Definitely try downloading and running on an HP box, if at all possible.

Even though you're Windows 7, and my machine is Windows 10, I think the HP BIOS Update Utility has been pretty much like what I've shown for a long time.  It presumes you're going to be running it on an HP box, though.

It's been so long since I've tried to flash BIOS on a machine with a corrupt BIOS, as opposed to a merely outdated one, that I can't be of much help.  Someone will certainly know how to do this, though.

Edited by britechguy, 15 December 2015 - 12:56 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

i don't have access to another hp computer :killcomp:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

See this guide on reflashing a HP with Insyde BIOS. Hopefully the Windows key + b key will start the flash. Rename your .fd file to a .bin extenstion. I can't make out the letter after the numbers but it would be renamed to 363X.bin where X is the letter after the first three numbers.

http://www.systutorials.com/3022/hp-compaq-bios-crisis-recovery-from-a-failed-bios-flashing/

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

thanks John, i tried that,

the USB drive flashes for about 30 seconds like its updating then the computer shuts off, tried to boot and no go,

i am not understanding what it is saying about the "winflash.exe" program in those instructions, i don't have any program like that within my BIOS download?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

Winflash it the Windows flashing program that includes the fd file. It's not something you need to worry about if you already extracted the fd file you show in your first post.

Sorry it did not work for you. It may be a matter of renaming the .fd file but there are a number of threads on the web where the name changes depending on the HP model.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 December 2015 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users