Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer won't allow me to access my start screen or sidebar menu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 llee1000

llee1000

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

I have Windows 8.1 Toshiba Satellite laptop. 

When I press my start button or swipe down, neither my start screen nor my sidebar menu comes up. This is important for me because this is how I put my computer to sleep and it is bugging me a lot. 

I had this problem before and I didn't know what to do. I tried downloading many anti-virus programs, but to no anvil. Then my computer did a surprise update and everything was fine.

Because of my previous experience, I went to my control panel and went to "check updates". It found updates but when I tried to update, my computer just stopped updating it. I tried again, but my computer told me there was a problem. 

I don't know what to do now. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Sorry - but your problem seems to have slipped through the cracks !

If this is a recent problem, have you tried doing a system restore ?  Press the Windows key + X and choose 'Control panel' from the menu that pops up. Select 'Recovery' (choose 'View by small icons' to make finding this easier), then click 'Start system restore'.

You will come to a screen listing available restore points, it may only list the latest. In which case click the button 'More restore points'. Select one that dates from before this problem started for you then click 'Start restore'. Accept any warnings it may give you and let it run. It might take 10 - 15 minutes and when it has finished do a re-boot if it doesn't do one automatically and see if the problem is fixed. If it isn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users