Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Billybobby2011

Billybobby2011

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hi guys!

My Lenovo Laptop recently started to crash with the BSOD. It doesn't give more info than saying it's a KERNEL problem (no error #). Says it's recuperating info but stays at 0% until I reboot myself. Last time I let it on the bluescreen for a while and I ended up with a "Default Boot Device Missing or boot failed".

I rebooted and the computer works but I'm afraid the next BSOD is just around the corner.

Please find attached the Sysnative report. I was unable to get the perform done as it says the operator or administrator doesn't let me do it (I guarantee I tried to run it as admin).

Thanks a lot!

· OS - Windows 8.1
· x64
· original installed OS
· OS is an OEM version (came pre-installed on system)
· Age of system (hardware): 2 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? No.

· CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4000M CPU 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
· Video Card: Intel® HD Graphic 4600

· System Manufacturer: Lenovo
· Exact model number: 20292 (IdeaPad Z410)

· Laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi Billybobby2011 & Welcome to the forums ^_^,

It seems that the ZIP file was not attached properly. Could you please attach it again with your next post? I would suggest you to take a backup of the system. Use the system as less as you could.

Also, please get a head start on the Hard Disk Diagnostics over here (Thanks usasma!) - http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 Billybobby2011

Billybobby2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hi blueelvis,

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated!

I reattached the .zip file to this post.

I'll start the Hard Disk Diagnostics right away,.

Thanks again!

P.S. Blue christmas is my favorite song from Elvis!!!

Attached Files

Edited by Billybobby2011, 16 December 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#4 Billybobby2011

Billybobby2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

I've burnt and ran the SeaTools for Dos by booting from CD. After I agree to the terms, the SeaTools says "No Hard Drve Found" as well as "No Devices Detected".

The option for "Basic Test" on the upper left is greyed out, as well as all other options except "Exit".

Any idea what I can do about it?

I had to change my BIOS to "Legacy" in order to boot from the DVD. I don't know if this has something to do with the fact that SeaTools doesn't see my HD.

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:52 AM

I reattached the .zip file to this post.

I'll start the Hard Disk Diagnostics right away,.

Thanks again!

P.S. Blue christmas is my favorite song from Elvis!!!

Hi Billy ^_^,

Hehe. I did not come up with the nick like that. Blue is my favorite color and when I was a kid, I had heard the name Elvis on the Internet and then bam! :P

In regards to your problems, I checked the ZIP file but there is not a single dump file and neither there is any entry which states that the system suffered from a Blue Screen. There are a bunch of Kernel 41 errors which mean that the system did not know why it shut down.

On checking the Event Log, I saw this error -

Event[1765]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot
  Date: 2015-11-28T16:11:41.697
  Event ID: 29
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: N/A
  User: S-1-5-18
  User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
  Computer: motorbike
  Description: 
Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.

I searched for this error and here is the error message -

Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc00000d4 (3221225684) - {Incorrect Volume}  The target file of a rename request is located on a different device than the source of the rename request.

I am not sure why this is happening.

I also found that there is Intel Rapid Storage present on the system which dates back to 2013. We saw a lot of problems because of this particular driver.

Kindly follow the below steps -

1. Kindly remove MalwareBytes till the time we are troubleshooting the system using this **TOOL**. Also, please remove BitDefender using this **TOOL**. Once you have removed please make sure that Windows Defender is enabled. (In case you are using paid version of either MBAM or BitDefender, please make sure that you take a backup of the license)
  2. Please remove the Intel Rapid Storage from the system using this **GUIDE**.

Regarding the hard disk tests, I would suggest you to hold them and try the above steps. In case you would like to perform them, you might need to change the mode of the hard disk from SATA to IDE (or Compatibility) from the BIOS. Once you are done with the tests, please revert the setting else there is a possibility that the system might not boot up.

In case you are still facing problems, kindly upload the ZIP file created by the tool (Created by me) with your next post -

http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector

Let me know how everything goes ^_^

Regards,

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 Billybobby2011

Billybobby2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hi blueelvis,

Thanks again for your help.

In regards to your problems, I checked the ZIP file but there is not a single dump file and neither there is any entry which states that the system suffered from a Blue Screen.

Pure speculation  but maybe this has to do with the fact that when it does the BSOD, the screen says something like "Gathering some information about your problem" but then stays at 0% forever until I turn off the computer myself?  

In any case, I proceeded to the steps you suggested.

Regarding IRTS, first method didn't work for me - computer wouldn't restart.  I had to revert to the restore point.

Second method worked but I was still seeing iaStorA.sys in DriverView and there was no Non-plug and play Drivers section in Device Manager.  I simply uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology from Programs and Features.

I don't see any of ithe iaStor file anymore so uninstall seems complete.

1) Should I now use my computer normally to see if this has fixed the problem?

2) In case it doesn't work, I was wondering if there's any chance that updating to Windows 10 could magically solve the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users