Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows.BT$/Windows.Old Folders missing ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

I just noticed this last night after running several updates in groups of six on Windows Update, the folder, originally titled Windows.BT$ is now missing on my drive. I have hidden folders and files set to view and be seen. And its not showing up. Was it moved ? Or was it deleted outright ?

If it was moved, where was it moved to ? If it was deleted as per a update for it to be deleted, why did the HD space open up for that folder removal ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:18 AM

The $Windows.~BT and windows.old folder is created when you upgrade to a new version of Windows. Windows.old folder contains the previous Windows installation so you can roll back to a previous version of Windows. $Windows.~BT will contain some Windows setup files. These folder might take up lot of disk space, you can delete them to regain space without causing problems.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:16 AM

Yes yes, this I know, but where are they now ? Its like they're completely gone; one second they were in my drive folder {originally a hidden folder, it was where Win 10 was snuck into} But now its gone, folder completely; is this itentional ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

I have no idea if this is intentional, and I doubt it would be with regard to Microsoft's own Windows Updates.

However, did you uninstall any of the "Windows 10 Nagware" updates and/or install GWX Control Panel?   It would not surprise me if one or the other of these actions would cause the "Windows 10 in waiting" folders to be removed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

I have no idea if this is intentional, and I doubt it would be with regard to Microsoft's own Windows Updates.

However, did you uninstall any of the "Windows 10 Nagware" updates and/or install GWX Control Panel?   It would not surprise me if one or the other of these actions would cause the "Windows 10 in waiting" folders to be removed.

Now that I look back on it, the update to GWX Control Panel did remove some stuff as wanted, Guess its not a bad thing after all as GWX Control Panel is doing its job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users