Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Computer Ringing Sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thatguy132

thatguy132

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:09 AM

Ok so, i recently bought a new pc, and ive only had it for like 2 weeks, and within the past few days i noticed a strange ringing noise, i first shrugged it off as i thought maybe it was normal, but now its really starting to worry me.

I made a video with my phone, here: 

I dont know if somethings wrong, please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thatguy132

thatguy132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:15 AM

Also, i thought i might add i opened up the pc to try and pin point the sound, i think its coming from the cpu fan or power supply, but im not entirely sure.

#3 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

The video is private.  It might be a cable touching the fan when it turns on?

#4 thatguy132

thatguy132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:24 AM

The video is private.  It might be a cable touching the fan when it turns on?

Sorry, i was panicking and i thought i put it as unlisted, it should now be viewable.

#5 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:35 AM

Ok doesn't sound like a cable hitting the fan.  Haven't heard of anything like that to be honest, sounds like a kettle.  If you have another computer/another fan you could try switching it out and see if it still makes the noise.  Perhaps even taking it off, wiping it down and putting it back on might help. 

#6 thatguy132

thatguy132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

Ok doesn't sound like a cable hitting the fan.  Haven't heard of anything like that to be honest, sounds like a kettle.  If you have another computer/another fan you could try switching it out and see if it still makes the noise.  Perhaps even taking it off, wiping it down and putting it back on might help. 

Could it be coil whine? a friend of mine informed me out could possibly be.

#7 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you without inspecting it as I haven't had much experience with it.  I can tell you that if it has happened to you it has most likely happened to someone else.  Try and look up the motherboard and video card to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

#8 thatguy132

thatguy132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:49 AM

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you without inspecting it as I haven't had much experience with it.  I can tell you that if it has happened to you it has most likely happened to someone else.  Try and look up the motherboard and video card to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Uploaded a video with the side off:  my friend thinks its the gpu

#9 thatguy132

thatguy132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

Pretty sure its the GPU whine coil, found a similar video with the same sound, thanks for the help though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users