Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Failure?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Hey guys, I just want to double check something.

I just started using SSD about a year ago. And just today, while trying to install Mac on my oldest SSD, it continuously failed while trying to reformat, said it couldn't write to last block or something. After about 4 format failures, the SSD was no longer accessible when plugged in. I tried plugging it into my other working Windows, Linux and Mac machines but no luck, drive doesn't show up at all. Luckily I had no lost data because I was already trying to reformat.

So basically, I believe the SSD has failed and is dead. My only concern though is that whenever I plug it into an already stable computer, while the what I believe to be a failed SSD is plugged in, it renders the whole computer unbootable. One stops at loading screen, another stops at bios screen. I don't understand why a dead drive would stop a system from booting, isn't it dead and shouldn't be able to do something like this? Might be a rookie question but honestly, this is the first drive, whether HDD or SSD, that I've ever have fail on me. Consider me really lucky since I've been messing with computers my whole life, haha.

In closing, this normal for a failed drive? Is it dead?

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:29 AM

It could be that the computer is detecting the drive and trying to boot from it.  Try keep the drive plugged in, go into bios, and check which drive it is booting from.  It shouldn't have a problem having the drive plugged in while running it unless it is shorting the power, and even then should be fine. 

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

I've made sure it's not booting from it.

On my Windows machine, it's already booting up from the regular drive and at the loading screen is when it stops it from booting. It won't freeze or anything, just continue the loading animation loop. I even unplugged it while it was stuck in that animation loop then it snapped out of it then continued to finish booting up!

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

If you have a working computer with Windows installed on another hdd install the ssd in it.  Make sure the ssd isn't listed in the boot order in the BIOS.

Then download SeaTools and run the scan on the ssd.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

I tried plugging it into my other working Windows, Linux and Mac machines but no luck, drive doesn't show up at all.

Whenever I plug it into an already stable computer, while the what I believe to be a failed SSD is plugged in, it renders the whole computer unbootable.

I can't try what you suggest because when I plug it into an already stable computer, it renders the computer unbootable. With Windows, it gets stuck at the loading screen animation loop.

Hulk_Tag.png

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

With the cost of ssds, I would just replace it. What could of happened is an internal short, causing any other drives on that sata power cable lose power.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Oh, definitely. I already have my replacement on the way, lol. Should be here tomorrow. Just still trying to understand why the drive makes the system inoperable.

You think it's a short, hmm.. That's a possibility.

Hulk_Tag.png

#8 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

Since you already have a replacement coming you are good there but I wouldn't just throw the drive away.  Buy an external case for it so you can plug it into a USB port AFTER your computer is already up.  This way you can run diagnostic software on it.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#9 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Who said anything about throwing it away? OCZ requested I send it back with an RMA.

And actually, I just remembered I have a Seagate GoFlex FreeAgent so I'm going to see if I can plug it into the attachment piece. then plug in that way.

Hulk_Tag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users