Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What else besides HD could be causing this?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bhrteam

bhrteam

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hey all! I just found this board and I am praying you can help me out. My ageing Father has trouble learning new tricks these days. He likes his old computer that runs Windows XP because he remembers everything and it is fine for his needs. All he does is go on woodworking sites and cooresponds with some old military buddies threw email. Basic stuff.

The computer crashed I am assuming. It just freezes up when you start it up. So I figured it just needed a new HD. I threw on in and I go through the setup but when I get to the point where I need to format the partition to re-install XP it locks up. It just says "Setup is formatting... " on the blue screen and stays at 0%. I have tried 4 different HD's and all the same result.

Does anyone know what else could be doing this? Could it be the RAM? Any help would be greatly appreciated because fixing this thing would mean more to him than any new laptop ever could. Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

my guess is the motherboards probably toast...but on a older system it could be any number of things. I would suspect its not the RAM, but if you have another PSU and then CPU you could swap out to test, that maybe worth trying. Might also try resetting the CMOS and see if that does anything, couldnt hurt.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 bhrteam

bhrteam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

Yeah I was thinking about the points of failure and assumed that was what someone was going to say. I just wanted to make sure someone else agreed with me. I think I'll just rebuild it in the same case and as long as I have his old files and OS, he won't know the difference.

I do have planty of spare parts so I am gonna try doing some swapping and seeing what happens.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

- bhr

#4 bhrteam

bhrteam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

So I realized that the other hard drives boot up fine in the computer. They just will not allow me to format or re-install. I am going to format and re-install windows connected to a difference tower and then just swap it over and see if it works.

Looks like the patient might not be dead after all ;)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:55 AM

with XP it should just ask you to re-activate windows, usually not a big deal, sometimes can be a hassle....

if its not letting you reformat, then I would suspect then the problem lies in the hard drive controller on the motherboard. Reformatting on another computer may work, at least for a short time.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 bhrteam

bhrteam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:17 AM

Ok when I connected the HD to it's original computer, it allowed me to install Windows and then I was able to connect it to the original computer I was working on, and that allowed me to install Windows fresh. So now everything is good, but I need certaindevice drivers for Ethernet, Video/Audio, and SM Bus controllers.

Anyone have any idea where I can find the model/serials for these controllers? I tried the device manager but I got nothing.

Good news, I was able to get the OS installed! The only problem now is that I need to install device drivers but I do not have any info on the tower because it was built from scratch.  I tried using the Device Manager to see what info. I could get but it only showed that there were devices that need drivers but no pertinent info like Model/Serial #'s. Anyone have any idea how I should go about finding this info?

#7 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

Do you know what the motherboard is?  If so go to the manufacturers website and should be able to go to support page and download everything from there (depends how old it is)

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

That would be where I would start see if you can find a model number on the motherboard and any peripheral devices that need a driver and do a Google search.

picard5.jpg

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

Go to BC download page and get a copy of Speccy, it will give you the information you need.

Edited by OldPhil, 15 December 2015 - 01:22 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users