Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing a win 10 system from a live distro????

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

Can I repair a win 10 system with a messed up boot useing a live linux distro? Is that even possible and would there be somewhere to tell me exactly how?

I have to find someway to make it quit trying to boot or finish boot before I can do anything else with it.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like you need a Windows repair disk. :whistle:

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Sounds like you need a Windows repair disk. :whistle:

Which you can make on any Windows system running the same version as yours is.  Then you've got to boot from it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

Can I repair a win 10 system with a messed up boot useing a live linux distro?

You will need a Windows 10 repair disk as stated above.

Edited by NickAu, 14 December 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

You could also reinstall it using the upgrade version of a Windows 10 download .iso. i had to do that on my mom's computer when the Metro desktop "disappeared" for some unknown reason.That should correct any boot issue you have. Be sure and choose "upgrade" and not a "clean install" as you will lose all your data by selecting that choice.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

Ok the only repair disks I have found so far there are more negative reviews than positive. Mostly that they do not really work.

I am looking at a win 10 iso on a thumb drive useing rufus.  How ever most say they would have to be made on a win 10 machine that is all ready working.

The only working machine I have right now is a vista 32 bit.  Where I get confused is rufus says I can use any machine since vista but does not explain exactly how. Or if I can dl a win 10 64bit onto a 32 bit machine and it stay as 64 bit. At least I asssume I will have to install the iso on the computer then transfer to the thumb drive and use rufus to make it bootable?  Here I am a complete novice.  The HP machine I am trying to recover is stuck in a endless boot loop.  It did not come with a cd/dvd drive so it may not have a drive even listed in boot order. Also I have only once got that machine to actually show a boot screen.  I have never been able to do it again.

Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.  For more info check out my thread in BSOD forum.

I have quite a mess on my hands.  Also I only have thumb drives do I actually need a flsh drive I understand they are actually different.

Edited by dannyboy950, 16 December 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

You do know this is the Linux Section right? lol.  You really need to be asking on the 10 forum.

Yes you can download a 64bit on a 32bit machine and it will stay 64bit.  Look up Rufus on youtube until you find one that suits your needs.  Personally I would stick with Windows Programs for windows, and there are many on the windows forum that can advise on that. 

You don't transfer to USB then use Rufus to make bootable.  You use Rufus, and Browse to the iso via. Rufus, and Rufus uses the iso to make the Bootable USB as I understand it.

If you have a W10 Recovery Partition you might be able to activate the Recovery Partition and Reboot, but this will prompt a Recovery, and you will need to choose all the right options and I cannot advise you on that.

You've prompted many questions that I don't have time to answer right now but hope this helps.  One would be: Can you get to the BIOS?

Maybe this will help? Go to this Title towards the bottom, and click he dropdown.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

"Use installation media to restore or reset your PC"

If your PC won't start and you haven't created a recovery drive, download installation media and use it to restore from a system restore point or reset your PC.

On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.

Download the media creation tool and then run it.

Select Create installation media for another PC.

Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).

Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.

Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.

On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.

Select Repair your computer.

On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can:

Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.

Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

Gotta go, use google to get some good answers

Edited by pcpunk, 16 December 2015 - 08:25 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:33 AM

If your PC won't start and you haven't created a recovery drive, download installation media and use it to restore from a system restore point or reset your PC.

On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.

Download the media creation tool and then run it.

Select Create installation media for another PC.

Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).

Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.

Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.

On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.

Select Repair your computer.

On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can:

Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.

Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

Gotta go, use google to get some good answers

That's all that needs to be done! :thumbup2:

pcpunk is correct, this is the Linux section, while there are some Linux bootable tools to repair these systems, the Windows followers in that section has these things covered. 

Finally, it's always good to keep a copy of your install media on hand for when these events happens. Regardless of the OS one is running. Microsoft allows one to download at no cost, Windows 8.1 & 10 ISO's, which are best to save on an external drive, that way it'll always be there when needed. Chances are, a friend or family member will allow you to download the ISO if you don't have an extra working computer. 

Good Luck with your repair! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

My appologies I posted here because I noticed that most of the helpers for windows actually used linux/unix them selves according to their signatuers.

Also over the years I have noticed that a lot of the widows tools were actually developed by the open source community.

You combine that with something that was told to me many many years ago. If you want to work on a unstable windows sytem, whether to fix or hack work from outside the windows system with something else that is stable so all your tools will work properly and whatever is on windows has less chance to affect your platform.

By the way microsoft will not allow the dl/instalation of the media creation tool to Vista. You would have to use 7;8;8.1; or win 10. I just tried. Beside I have it stuck in my old head that rufus is open source. My bad.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

By the way microsoft will not allow the dl/instalation of the media creation tool to Vista. You would have to use 7;8;8.1; or win 10. I just tried. Beside I have it stuck in my old head that rufus is open source. My bad.

I was afraid of that.

I will have look more into this but don't think the Advisers are going to let this Thread continue here if you are not using Linux to resolve an issue.  Now, if you just need to recover some files...then you can surely do that with a Linux Installation Disk.  And probably not a bad idea just in case you mess this repair up.

Can you get into your BIOS?

Also, don't see why you can't use Rufus but have not looked into it - I just always use tools built for the Software first if possible, especially if it can be gotten from official M.S. site.  If you know that you can do it this way then you are good to go.  I'm just wondering if you are getting the proper help so you don't do any more damage?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

The only working machine I have right now is a vista 32 bit.

microsoft will not allow the dl/instalation of the media creation tool to Vista. You would have to use 7;8;8.1; or win 10.

If you need to get a Windows 10 ISO, but do not have an OS that can run the media creation tool. The media tool page should re-direct you to an ISO download page (at least that's what it does for me under Lubuntu 14.04).

Steps:
1. In your web-browser visit "https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO". You should be re-directed if using an unqualifying operating system.
f1JSGFf.png

2. Choose the ISO you want (in your case Windows 10).
PxpKVaT.png

3. Choose the language you want (eg: English).
SpUFlQu.png

4. Choose either 32bit or 64bit. You will have 24 hours to download the ISO before the link expires.
XVrLkxd.png

There you go, you'll have a Windows 10 ISO. In case you have any trouble generating your own links, below I've posted the ones I generated while taking these screenshots.

Download Links (expire 12/18/2015 8:37:30 PM UTC):
Windows 10 English 32bit: http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_1511_English_x32.iso?t=df4751b3-aa81-46bf-9b45-22df513486a0&e=1450471050&h=fb4856eaa300564ac56d7723977d0d9c
Windows 10 English 64bit: http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_1511_English_x64.iso?t=df4751b3-aa81-46bf-9b45-22df513486a0&e=1450471051&h=6afe8fb8a476a711d04859bec26ac245

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users