Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound-no Audio Device

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 benavidesaz

benavidesaz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

I am having a problem with my sound on my Dell Dimension 4600 desktop. The sound card is a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio. This is the way it came from Dell. Up to a few days ago I had sound. I didnt make any changes but now when I boot up there is no sound from Windows loading or any other sound. I look in the control panel and see that all the settings are 'greyed' out and it says that there are no audio devices. I have made sure that all drivers are up to date. i went into BIOS and turned off then on the audio in hopes of something good happening. I have rebooted a gang of times and done a restore to a previous date as well. All connections are there and I havent made any changes; this litteraly happened overnight. None of these options have worked. Any and all help would be appreciated. THX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

Do you have a speaker icon on your taskbar?

Go to your device manager
control panel/system/hardware/device manager

and look in "Sound video and game controllers".

Do you see anything with a yellow or red icon there?

If so, delete it, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall it.

(You may have to download the driver from Dell)

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 July 2006 - 02:17 PM.

#3 benavidesaz

benavidesaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

Speake icon is not there but it used to be. I have also looked in the device manager for any sign of trouble. There are no yellow or red icons just the following list:: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Lagacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio device, and Video Codecs. Not sure if all these are needed or not. THX for the reply but still need more suggestions. Keep em' coming.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

Make sure your speakers are plugged in to the right jack, and if powered speakers make sure they are getting power. Sometimes the most simple things are the problem.

Update your Soundmax driver.
Download it from Dell Support and save it where you can find it - then use the device manager to update the driver.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 July 2006 - 03:09 PM.

#5 benavidesaz

benavidesaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

Power and speakers are plugged in and correct. I am on the Dell website but cant seem to find the right driver for SoundMAX. I find some but not for Windows XP. Not sure where to go from here now. Again thanks for all the help and looking for more.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:22 AM

See if this works:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=102721

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:28 AM

Maybe type -

dxdiag

into RUN box & click OK button.
Then see picture-

http://i7.tinypic.com/211s41v.jpg

Edited by medab1, 26 July 2006 - 10:39 AM.

#8 benavidesaz

benavidesaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the help but tried both of the above suggestions and still no luck. I went to Dell website and dowloaded Enthusiast suggestion but it couldnt finish because it said no drivers. Medlab1 suggestion resulted in the following:
DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)

I have looked in the device manager and it says that these drivers are there. Late last night after a reboot I had sound for a few hours but today I am back to zero sound again. Going nuts with this problem. Ive run Norton, Defender, Spybot, and registry Mechanic in hopes of finding a virus but no luck in finding or fixing this problem. Keep the suggestions coming.

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

Is your Windows Audio service set to Automatic?
See picture-

http://i7.tinypic.com/211un8k.jpg

#10 benavidesaz

benavidesaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

Help medlab1; how do I get there. Also I went back and messed around with the diagnostics you sugested. Under the sound tab I still get no driver but in the music tab there is a box to test using this port. In here there are 2 choices 1. Microsoft Synthesiser and 2. SoundMAX Digital Audio. If I select the first choice it still says there are no drivers but selection 2 plays music for me. ????????

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:09 AM

Help medlab1; how do I get there. Also I went back and messed around with the diagnostics you sugested. Under the sound tab I still get no driver but in the music tab there is a box to test using this port. In here there are 2 choices 1. Microsoft Synthesiser and 2. SoundMAX Digital Audio. If I select the first choice it still says there are no drivers but selection 2 plays music for me. ????????

Click Start in taskbar.
Click RUN.
Type in services.msc & click OK button.

At least you have some sound.

#12 benavidesaz

benavidesaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thank you that worked but I wonder for how long. It was set to Automatic but it was not started. Once I restarted it I had sound. I am planning to reboot in a few minutes and see what happens. Do you have any more suggestions to avoid this problem? Once again thanks.

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

I don't know.
Maybe run sfc /scannow

Maybe Error Checking.

Since the service is started it should stay started.

Edited by medab1, 26 July 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

1)If Microsoft Synth says no drivers go to Windows Update, let it scan your system and see if the driver shows up.

2) If the above is not successful, try the add hardware icon in your control panel and see if that has results.

Do you have Windows Media Player installed?
Try downloading the following:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#15 benavidesaz

benavidesaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

I rebooted and I came back to no sound. I checked and same thing; set to auto but not started. I restarted and had sound again. Im running scan with Windows File Protection like you said and also updating to WIndows Media Player 10. What can all this be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users