Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up to restore another computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jaccka

jaccka

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

I have 2 Alienware M18X laptops. Both have been reset to factory settings and windows 10 installed via a usb. They are exactly the same computers. One works perfectly but the other freezes or black screens not long after the desktop appears. My question is can i back-up the one that is working and restore it on the 2nd one? Hardware is both the same and diagnostics show there is no fault.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

Yes, either through restoring an OS full-partition [or logical drive] image, or, cloning the good onto the not-so-good. I've done it before.  As long as each computer has its own OEM or MS product key, you're home free.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 December 2015 - 06:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hi Jaccka,

Sure you can clone the Windows install but I'm not sure how Windows 10 will react to that in terms of activation because the activation done in one machine will not be valid for the other machine due to the different Hardware ID.

Maybe you want to test and tell us the result :)

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

Yes you can clone the good Windows to the other, as long as you have separate product key.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 jaccka

jaccka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

TY for quick responses.

Restored from USB from good to bad computer. Still getting black screen and freezing on it. Diagnostic scans all come back good . Noticed that display drivers aren't AMD as they should be but Microsoft so am working on getting that fixed in between BS and freezes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users