Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot show certain hidden folder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 plat1098

plat1098

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hello:  I wanted to delete every fragment of AVG TuneUp, and thought I had done so, both with manual means and via the tool they claim removes everything.  I ran a scan recently to check if all my stuff was up to date, and voila, a component of AVG is still there.  Furthermore, I ran a FRST scan to see where it's located and it's in a hidden folder (not cool). Tried to research how to unhide it and nothing works.  I don't want to venture into FRST fixlist territory or the registry because I don't know what I'm doing.  Thanks for any guidance.   Windows 8.1 by the way.

If the FRST and Addition texts are needed, I'll load them. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

Did you use the method here to unhide hidden folders?

https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=27479

#3 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi, glad you replied.  I read your info and it seems it only applies to Windows 7 and 8.  This is a screenshot of my folder options, I have the "show hidden folders" option marked but no folder anywhere to be found-- in users, app data, etc.  The AVG forum for this is of no help whatsoever, the tool is recommended to be used but then it leaves this hidden folder, very suspicious to me.  Other articles on the subject indicate this is a "bug" with Microsoft. Short of a system refresh, which is a major hassle, don't know what else to do. 

Attached File  Capture 22.PNG   52.24KB   3 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:23 PM

It looks like you have the option to show hidden folders. Maybe AVG set it up as a System Folder. Lower in the list is an option to Hide System Folders. Uncheck that and see if the folder shows. If not then check the box again.

#5 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

I believe you're correct with its being a System folder.  An AVG entry is still in startup which indicates that this unnecessary thing considered itself to be System material.  When I clicked to unhide the System folders like you instructed, I got a warning that accessing these folders could lead to system instability, and I took that seriously and backed away.  Wow, this is like chewing gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe.  Never again.

Attached File  Capture11.PNG   2.88KB   0 downloads

Edited by plat1098, 14 December 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

plat1098,

Given AVG's reputation, which is excellent, the lack of cleanup of this folder is likely an oversight, not malicious nor suspicious.  There are tons of uninstallers that are not absolutely complete in their tidying up afterward.

That being said, you should contact AVG technical support about this.  I have had to deal with their technical support as well as Avast!s and both were quite responsive.  Here's the AVG Support Contact page for AVG PC-Tuneup for Windows.  You have very definite information you can supply them with and have not (that I can tell) done anything by hand to remove what you first identified as remaining behind.  I'd love to hear what you hear from AVG (and it may take a couple of days, but maybe not).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

britecguy's suggestion is best and you should follow it.

When you unhide system files that is the standard warning Windows gives.

#8 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for replies--there is no issue with the AVG security software, which is very, very good.  The TuneUp, however, is a different matter.  Please understand:  a.  An update to this software recently was automatic (why?), and being that it was automatic I found out by happenstance that it disrupted my Windows update functions, for which I had to use the Microsoft fixit to restore.  b.  I've accessed the technical support several times, and without fail, they demand remote access to your machine.  I could not update my email to activate my security product, they wanted to access my machine to update my email.  Huh?  No, not returning to AVG and I've had other issues with this product specifically, making it intolerable to have this software installed.  A folder, in my mind, that is part of just a "tune up:" software should not be hidden in order to escape being both detected and deleted, don't you agree?  And further, it seems to be lodged in a Systems folder, yet another barrier to its removal. I'm justified in being a bit suspicious. Are there other solutions?  Will a FRST fixlist do the job?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

plat1098,

First, AVG is a company, and they have a reputation they wish to maintain which is, as you say, very, very good.

I imagine the update to PC Tune-Up is automatic because that's how it's set up by default at installation.  Most software that I've been installing for years now has an automatic update feature that is set on by default (and that's typically mentioned during installation, but not always).

It is not at all unusual for technical support from reputable companies to request remote access to your computer, which you can monitor throughout and terminate at the click of a mouse.  There are good reasons for this and you do have the option to decline, but then they have the very reasonable option of stating that they cannot provide support.

I will not propose any solutions when a reputable vendor's perfectly reasonable requests, caused secondary to a support request by yourself, are being rebuffed.  They know far better than anyone on these forums what needs to be done next and there is no logical reason to distrust them.  If someone purporting to be AVG were calling you that would be one thing, but when you put in a support request with a major software vendor, and they take it seriously, remote access is very often a part of the picture.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:56 AM

On the surface, Britechguy's advice to go to AVG for this issue appears to be the logical route. I've "experienced" that already, several times. I chose this forum instead to attempt a resolution. Keeping this superficial, let's say it's you who is determined to eradicate every bit of a given software from your machine, even using the proprietary tool that states on its interface it will remove every component of it. You use it, manually delete the rest and then find out only by luck that there is still a piece there--furthermore that it's hidden and inaccessible to you, it's on your machine, your property and you can't get rid of it without risking damage to your computer. Based on this alone, would anyone in their right mind be inclined to then go to the source for a remote access session? I wish this was just a case of sloppy uninstallation, I really do. Unless there are more viable solutions or ideas, I'll look to other means now to get this file off my computer.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,733 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

I understand your concern and hesitation to allow AVG's tech support to have remote access. Have you tried asking at the AVG Support Community Forums for PC TuneUp?

Another option, since you already ran FRST, it's log can be reviewed, but they are not permitted in this forum.

You can start a new topic and post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

If you choose to follow the above instructions and post your FRST log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one. If not, at least you know doing that is an option available to you.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Yes, I have posted this in the Malware forum, for another issue, as it turns out :crazy:

Thanks to all who replied, it's very much appreciated. Please close thread.

Regards, plat1098

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Malware Removal Logs topic is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599467/moved-topic-from-windows-forum-problems/#entry3886821

This one is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users