Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Relatively few people have much experience with UEFI since it only came on the scene with the debut of Windows 8.  The tendency is to want to start describing BIOS, and while UEFI lets you get to those settings doing so is not the same for Windows 8 or Windows 10 as it had been when "BIOS was BIOS."

For the sake of complete clarity, and for future readers, I decided to do as thorough a job as I could of documenting what the UEFI boot looks like.  On my HP laptop this is accessed by hitting ESC when the HP splash screen appears during boot.  Different manufacturers use different key presses, so one must look up what that key press is for one's own system.

There will be some slight differences in the user interface as well.  The similarities will far outweigh the differences.  I did not, for obvious reasons, run the Recovery option that is triggered by an F11 press on my laptop.  I have upgraded to Windows 10 and have a perfectly functioning machine, so I don't want to recover.

I've annotated the pictures I took.  Screen shots aren't possible outside Windows (or if they are I don't know how to do them).

I hope this may prove helpful to those trying to dig in to UEFI for the first time, or as an example of a specific UEFI interface.

01-uefi_main_menu.jpg

02-f1_press_system_info.jpg

03-f2_press_system_diagnostics.jpg

04-f9_press_boot_device_options.jpg

05a-f10-press_bios_main.jpg

05b-f10-press_bios_security.jpg

05ci-f10-press_bios_sys_config.jpg

05cii-f10-press_bios_boot_options_open.j

Edited by britechguy, 09 September 2017 - 09:09 AM.
Changed Image Hosting to Resolve Loading Errors

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

Nice post - and it's something that is really needed!

Thanks!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for posting this. Whenever the time comes where I need to boot from the USB drive at least I'll know what to expect

#4 TamneR

TamneR

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

UHG I can't get the 3rd and 4th screen shots from the bottom to open up so I don't know what to do with the UEFI Bios  Help!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,870 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

Try looking at this again.  Problems cropped up with image hosting, so I've hosted the images elsewhere and updated the original post.  All should be much easier to see in the post itself and/or to download.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,870 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

Another member, tpm,  recently added this screen shot showing UEFI boot order information from another HP Laptop with a slightly different UEFI interface.  I thought I'd add it here since it's always good to have multiple examples of what you might be seeing.   Although they're all similar, even across brands, they're definitely not exactly the same, even within a single brand.

post-92785-0-54158400-1543597292.jpeg

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users