Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RAM Overclocking Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 radam9

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hello there! :)

I have an old computer that worked fine for me for 3 years, then i decided to move that one to my work place and leave it there and get myself a new PC.

I did a mistake when i bought the old computer (gonna call it PC from now to keep it simple!) and the RAM was a low voltage one that didnt work pretty well with my Motherboard, at first it didnt want to start up at all, then someone was able to help me out and figured that the RAM "HAD" to be overclocked for the computer to work (i dont remember if the OCing is to increase the voltage or the Frequency), if not it doesnt start up.

The only way to start up the PC is to insert only 1 RAM, then OC and then insert the second one.

Well the PC lived for 3 years as i said without a problem, i would store it for a couple of month when i was on vacation and then reinstall it in its place and it would work fine.

Now when i moved it to the work place, for some reason it doesnt want to work O_o . when i check the BIOS i see that the RAM has been reset to default and is no longer overclocked. why did this happen? is there a way for me to keep the RAM overclocked and not have it reset? as i need the PC to be reliable as it was back then when used in the workplace :S .

The system specs for the PC are:

RAM: OCZ Platinum Low Voltage Dual Channel Kit 2 x 2GB PC2 8500 DDR2

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD162GJ 160GB

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212

MOBO: Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780i SLI SATA2 RAID

CPU: Inter Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 1333 6MB

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular

Windows 7

I built this PC myself

I will do my best to supply any other info needed.

Thank you for your time and help.

Edited by radam9, 14 December 2015 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

Usually the bios will lose its settings when the backup battery on the motherboard dies.  Yours has a CR2032 located just above the USB plug ports and next to the bios on the lower right side of the motherboard.  I believe if you replace that cell and then reset your bios you will find that the settings are retained.

Edited by GoFigure, 14 December 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#3 radam9

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Yes you were right, the battery was giving out 0.2 volts instead of 3, got a new one and now it keeps the bios settings

Thank you @GoFigure !

Now to the next problem, i need to keep the RAM OCed and stable and i have no clue how to do that.

Could anyone help me out or direct me to a tutorial or guide? that would be very helpful 

Thanks in advanced for your time and effort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users