Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Id like to find a USB wireless adapter that is compatible with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

I’d like to find a USB wireless adapter that is compatible with Windows 10

--- I’d appreciate some recommendations

If I'd be better off considering an Ethernet USB adapter I would providing its Windows 10 compatible

--- I haven't researched this option yet but recommendations will be much appreciated

So far what I have found in regards to a wireless unit is similar to this

Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter - Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10, Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, CentOS, Lubuntu, Zorin, Kali Linux and Raspbian Wheezy

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-Wireless-USB-Adapter/dp/B00EQT0YK2/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41GU9uQcYPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0TRTBGFBTBVGWXRWBK39

The Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 makes me think it is compatible with Windows 10.

However, the compatibility section states:

--- Compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 8/7/Vista/XP, Mac OS 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9 and the latest version of 32-bit and 64-bit Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, etc.
- NOT COMPATIBLE with any device that does not run an operating system specified above unless otherwise stated.

I do not see how this item is Windows 10 compatible

Also “Any brand 802.11g or 802.11n router using 2.4GHz frequency band only (doesn't work on 5GHz band)” is mentioned.

--- Are both bands supported in some USB wireless adapters and is it worth considering them if they exist?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

cmptrgy,

I say the following without a trace of snark, "Good luck finding any USB wireless adapter that claims Windows 10 compatibility."

These things are manufactured in bulk and, as such, can sit on the shelf a very long time before being purchased.  Windows 10 is so new that it could be several years before anything officially declares them to be Windows 10 compatible.

You'll also want to consider one that matches the wireless mode of your router which is most likely G if it's old, N if it's from the past few years, or ac if it's brand spankin' new (though it could still be an N unit if it's new, too).  The issue of single versus dual-band and the actual channel range should be selected based upon what wireless system you'll be connecting to on the most routine basis.

I will be happy to test out the two I have here, one an EDUP and the other something else, both of which run on the Realtek chipset, if I recall correctly and both of which are Wireless N if you so desire.

Edited by britechguy, 14 December 2015 - 02:41 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

You may want to check this post and thread out. Seems the latest Windows 10 update broke wireless.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598499/wifi-disconnected-after-upgrading-windows-10-to-version-1511/?p=3885938

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

cmptrgy,

Just tested out the CNet CQU-906 USB Wireless N dongle that I've been using on a Windows 7 desktop on this machine and it worked like a charm and was entirely plug-n-play.  Below is the Device Manager Properties dialog for the device, so you can see the Realtek chip set it uses:

Attached File  CNet_Realtek_RTL8188CU_Chipset_USB_Wireless_N_Adapter.jpg   66.11KB   0 downloads

I can't seem to locate my edup micro adapter at the moment.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

Actually I own one of those Panda wireless adapters, its on my fathers laptop was his in built wireless card broke, that panda dongle actually works well in windows 10

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I know its only a couple of choices right now but I'm glad to know they work on Windows 10

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,645 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

cmptrgy,

If you're not in a particular hurry, the prices and selection at dx.com on these things is great.  [I have no commercial interest in nor affiliation with the aforementioned company.]

I've purchased a number of these from them over the years for various people (mostly Wireless N versions) and all have worked perfectly well and kept on working.  Now they've even got nano/micro sized USB wireless AC dongles.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

Brian, good site. It's on my list. Thanks

#9 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:39 AM

D-Link has been around for a long time, one of the best and inexpensive.

It has Win 10 drivers that work

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users