Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird file generated when running FRST

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PatL

PatL

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so I  apologize if I'm in the wrong forum. Recently I’ve found that when I run FRST it creates the two files FRST.txt and Addition.txt and a third file called 2. 2 is 3kb in size and not a txt file. I’m very curious as to what this is, and why it’s creating itself when I run FRST. Here is the VT results of it. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f1945cd6c19e56b3c1c78943ef5ec18116907a4ca1efc40a57d48ab1db7adfc5/analysis/1449862942/ Can someone please enlighten me as to what’s going on? I downloaded FRST from Bleeping Computers website, so it should be safe right? Thank you for any help and answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

Where is the file located?

Can you upload the file here please

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

...I downloaded FRST from Bleeping Computers website, so it should be safe right?

Yes...Bleeping Computer's hosted programs for download are trustworthy, safe and malware-free. However depending on the product some anti-virus software and other security scanners may flag certain programs as a threat for a variety of reasons when that is not the case. In these instances the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored.

Most of the well known specialized tools we use against malware are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download. Unfortunately, many of these tools (or their embedded files) are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This in turn sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 PatL

PatL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

Thank you both so much for your responses and input. I have submitted the file as per the request and eagerly await a verdict. One thing to point out, upon your request SleepyDude I went ahead and downloaded FRST and placed it on the desktop then ran it. The file appeared by the end as it has for the last four runs, so it'll appear anywhere I run FRST I believe but I have not tested that theory. Please let me know if there is anything else I may do to assist you guys

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

The file appeared by the end as it has for the last four runs, so it'll appear anywhere I run FRST I believe but I have not tested that theory. Please let me know if there is anything else I may do to assist you guys

Can you confirm this please and also I would like to know if you run FRST.exe or FRST64.exe.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 PatL

PatL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

I apologize for the delay. I run FRST.exe. I moved it to a newly created folder and re-ran it in there. Confirmed. the file 2 appears regardless of directory. Is there anything else I can do to help.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

I apologize for the delay. I run FRST.exe. I moved it to a newly created folder and re-ran it in there. Confirmed. the file 2 appears regardless of directory. Is there anything else I can do to help.

I can't reproduce the same result! Are you running the latest version? The first line of the log should show Version:14-12-2015

___
Rui

#8 PatL

PatL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

Surpisingly after fixing an error with my event logs service I no longer have the file appearing either. Must have been related to that error, sorry for the hassle.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

Ok, thanks.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users