Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft: Sorry for 'less-than-perfect experience':ZDnet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Microsoft to Surface Pro 4, Surface Book users: Sorry for 'less-than-perfect experience'

A steady stream of complaints about flickering screens, random crashing, and battery problems have buffeted both pieces of hardware since launching in October.

A November update fixed a swathe of problems affecting the flagships, only to be followed by new complaints that devices were chewing through battery reserves in sleep mode so quickly they were unreliable as a primary work device.

Microsoft's communication problems shone through again, with a support staffer telling a Surface Pro 4 owner that it was aware of the sleep-mode battery issue before it released the device and that power management is a "very hard computer science problem to solve especially with new silicon".

The explanation offered little comfort to consumers who'd spent a good part of a monthly wage on a product with known bugs that were judged by Microsoft too hard to fix before selling it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,999 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'm not excusing Microsoft in any way, but the rush to market for both hardware and software based on artificially imposed deadlines rather than actual product readiness has been going on "forever."   It certainly has occurred since I entered the industry in the 1980s.

The problem is that there's no effective way to punish those that engage in this because, quite literally, everyone engages in it to a greater or lesser extent and no matter whose products you stick with you're eventually going to be hit.

If this were a very rare occurrence it would be one thing, but it's standard operating procedure.  "It has to be on the shelves by {insert inane deadline here}!!," as opposed to, "It shouldn't go out until it's actually ready!!,"  is a problem that's never going to be solved.

That problem is also fed by the willingness of people and businesses to put up with this sort of behavior, again and again, because of "latest/newest toy" syndrome and that, in turn, feeds the rush to market cycle for fear someone will introduce a direct competitor to your latest toy before you introduce yours.

Edited by britechguy, 14 December 2015 - 12:01 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

I agree 100%. A perfect example is those large day one patches on video games. Today it seems everybody wants everything yesterday.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

Reminds me strongly of Windows 10 OS

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,999 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Reminds me strongly of Windows 10 OS

Indeed.   Having been a part of the preview I knew going in that Window 10 was "not ready for primetime" and was, really, in late beta when it started being rolled out to the public.

What's been more astounding lately is that Microsoft is breaking things as fundamental as wireless connectivity when it had worked just fine from the outset!!  They are not giving their testers sufficient time and/or realistic and representative hardware and environments to test stuff on before forcing it out the door.  There are aspects of this roll out that are making things worse instead of better, and that ain't good!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Get the message Msft.....we expect, and are entitled to, the best/better

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

Without competition we wouldn't have those inane impossible to meet ship dates. We would only get the products when they were ready. Because we couldn't go elsewhere....

OH! You want competition and choices in a capitalist society? Guess what, there are drawbacks when consumers demand tomorrow, yesterday.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,999 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

Guess what, there are drawbacks when consumers demand tomorrow, yesterday.

Yes, there are, and truly good corporate management does "expectation setting" with their customer base.  I'm no Apple-phile, but this is an example of a company that knows how to do virtually everything right in the vast majority of cases when it comes to product development and knowing when to start creating buzz.  Apple's had some fumbles, that's true, but compared against most technology companies they've been very few and far between.

Having spent a very long time in retail, part of it running an art gallery, I was long ago disabused of the notion, "The customer is always right."  There are certain customers I'd really rather not have and there were some to whom that statement was made directly.  Customers who are of the ilk that "demand tomorrow, yesterday" fall into that category.  Customers who are great because they require a lot of "the maintenance you offer" are distinctly different from high-maintenance customers!!

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Windows 8 is a personal computer operating system developed by Microsoft as part of the Windows NT family of operating systems. Development of Windows 8 started before the release of its predecessor, Windows 7, in 2009. It was announced at CES 2011, and followed by the release of three pre-release versions from September 2011 to May 2012. The operating system was released to manufacturing on 1 August 2012, and was released for general availability on 26 October 2012.[6]

. Development of Windows 8 started before the release of its predecessor, Windows 7, in 2009

Windows 8.1 was released approx a year later, 10/2013......

So....can we draw the conclusion that, rather than shoveling the blame etc onto "impatient consumers" in our much loved capitalist societies, we would do better to point the finger where it deserves to be pointed ?..(I am looking squarely at you MSFT)

If you cant stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen .......may well apply.

Msft has had an enormous amount of time to develop their OS's. As we all know their budget is virtually unlimited.

However...we digress....the topic is about the Surface Book range with Win 10

Within hours of Microsoft's new Surface Book landing in the hands of customers I began seeing reports of serious bugs and issues affecting Microsoft's new flagship device.

Are we expected to believe that msft didnt even turn the machines on !!!???.....yes apparently we are.......that has nothing to do with perceived demands on the part of consumers.....nor does it have any connection to 'pain in the butt' customers.

This is similar to buying some of the chinese made engines for power equipment.....one becomes aware very, very quickly that 'quality control' is close to non existent.

It would appear that buying from msft brings with it the same 'leap of faith'

We expect much, much, better Msft.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

You mention how windows 8's development began in 2009, it's initial release came in late 2012. For comparison when was windows 10's development begun for it's release in summer 2015?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

At the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference in 2011, Andrew Lees, the chief of Microsoft's mobile technologies, stated that the company intended to have a single ecosystem for PCs, phones, tablets, and other devices. "We won’t have an ecosystem for PCs, and one for phones, and one for tablets—they’ll all come together.

In December 2013, technology writer Mary Jo Foley reported that Microsoft was working on an update to Windows 8 codenamed Threshold, after a planet in Microsoft's Halo video game franchise.[11] Similarly to "Blue" (which became Windows 8.1),[12] Foley called Threshold a "wave of operating systems" across multiple Microsoft platforms and services, scheduled for the second quarter of 2015. Foley reported that among the goals for Threshold was to create a unified application platform and development toolkit for Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox One (which all use a similar Windows NT kernel).[

Information from HERE   

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users