Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will not open windows

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Wirickx

Wirickx

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hello!  My computer will no longer open windows.  It will not restore either.  When I've attempted to get to safe mode, via the advanced tools and startup settings, it will not recognize that I am pushing 4 or f4 (or any other key for that matter).  I found, somewhere on here I believe, a way to get to the safe mode screen using msconfig and was able to do do that, however, once I get to the black screen to choose safe mode, my arrow keys (or any other key) are not recognized and I'm stuck!   I don't know where to go from here.  I've already purchased a new computer, so I'm in no way worried about saving the old one, I just want all my files somehow!!  I own a small business and all my files from my business are stuck on there, I need those!   I'm not very tech savy, but I do follow directions well, if someone would PLEASE help me!!  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hi there,

If all you are concerned about is to save your files, then you can create a live Linux CD and use it to copy your files to another media.

Here is a tutorial for creating a live Linux CD/flash drive with Lucid Puppy.

#3 Wirickx

Wirickx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

Is this possible without being able to access windows though?  It says "from within windows" which is what worries me!  But yes, at this point, all I want is my files!!

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

You can ask for elevated help in the Malware Removal Logs section. The helper can attempt to make your computer bootable again - or failing that, to recover your files.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 14 December 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#5 Wirickx

Wirickx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

I'm just so confused as to how I can do any of this when I can't get into windows though!!  Do I download and put it on a usb and restart with the usb in?  I literally can't get to windows.  It won't go there.  at all. 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

Wirickx,

You will have to tweak your BIOS/UEFI settings to tell the machine to change the boot order to look at the USB device (or optical drive, if you've burned the bootable media to that format) first rather than using the default boot order, which looks at the HDD first.

Not knowing what machine you have I can't tell you precisely how to do this.  However, at boot up you usually get a manufacturer splash screen with text in one of the corners saying something along the lines of, "F2 - Boot Options  F12 - BIOS".   If you are given an option for Boot Options or Boot Order you can just use that and specify the USB/DVD to be the boot drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

Just let your helper know that your computer is unbootable, and he/she will point you in the right direction.

#8 Wirickx

Wirickx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

Brian,

I have an Acer Aspire ​M  Nothing pops up in the corners during boot up.  I've attempted to try to change its boot to safe mode via the advanced tools, however, when I do get tot he advanced boot options (black) screen, my arrows aren't recognized. 

At start up, it says it's "diagnosing" and then attempts to repair, however, it can't repair.  So then it brings me to a blue screen where it tells me the automatic repair  couldn't fix my pc and asks if I would like to go to advanced options or shut down.  I've gone to advanced options and attempted to restore to the one and only restore point it gives me, and it attempts that, however, it then states it was unable to restore.  ​

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

According to the Acer support website, (see this page at the bottom or this page) a repeated F2 press at startup when you're on the Acer splash screen should launch you into BIOS mode where you can change the boot device, order, etc.  I am presuming you already know how to do this once you're there.  UEFI/BIOS checking by the computer occurs before attempting to load the operating system, no matter what that operating system happens to be, so you should not have difficulty getting into this unless something is really, really wrong - in which case I don't think you'd be getting what you're currently seeing.

What you describe sounds like Windows is starting but can't get very far at all.  You will need to either boot from a Windows Recovery media or try a bootable version of Linux of your choice to copy your files to a backup drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#10 Wirickx

Wirickx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

That did bring me to the black screen "windows boot manager"  (which I had seen before, had no idea what it meant!) however, it only gives me the option for windows 8, and will not recognize me hitting enter, so the screen just counts down and I'm right back to where I started! 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

I'm just so confused as to how I can do any of this when I can't get into windows though!!  Do I download and put it on a usb and restart with the usb in?  I literally can't get to windows.  It won't go there.  at all. 

Just to clarify, Puppy is a self-contained OS on a disk that can read and write to a Windows hard drive partition. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI if enabled in order for the Puppy disk to boot. There is also a disk called Hiren's that you would burn to a CD disk. This would boot to a miniXP desktop that you could copy files from the hard drive to an external drive. Both run from RAM and off the CD disk or USB flash drive.

If you are interested in using Puppy linux I can guide you on copying files from your hard drive to an external drive as the File Manager in Puppy works a little differently and the naming convention for hard drive partitions is a little different.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

Wirickx,

You need to spend a little time at the Acer support site for your particular model reading through the information regarding UEFI/BIOS.   Everything I can find, including this page, indicates that the F2 key should give you access to the BIOS/UEFI if you hit it when the Acer splash screen is up during power on.

You are going to get nowhere until/unless you are able to change the boot order on your machine, and probably disable Secure Boot as well.  All of this is accessed before the operating system ever comes into play and is accessed via specific key presses.  The only other suggestion I've got is trying the DEL key like they suggest for desktops.

On my machine, which is an HP, the ESC key gives access to all the various BIOS and other boot options.  There is the equivalent for your machine and that information should be easy to find if you give the complete model number for your computer on the Acer support site.

~ Mark Twain

#13 Wirickx

Wirickx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

So I would download the Puppy on my new computer and transfer to a usb or disk and then the old computer would run from there?  Sorry I'm so inept at all of this!  :/  But somehow I need to figure out how to have it boot with that right? 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

Yes, you would download a file. Then you would burn the file to a disk by right clicking it and selecting Burn Disk Image or you can use a program to create a bootable USB flash drive. You would boot the CD or USB flash drive in the problem computer. It will open to a Puppy Desktop. From the Puppy Desktop you would copy your files from the hard drive to a external hard drive or another USB flash drive. For a Windows 8 computer Fatdog64 which is based on Puppy works well. But as I posted before,  you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings by tapping F2 at boot as britechguy posted. You can use F12 at boot to select your boot device but this option has to be enabled.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3182/~/why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook%3F

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 December 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

John,

This is the very link I posted above, but the OP is claiming that the F2 press does not get him anywhere other than choosing an OS to boot, which strikes me as incredibly odd.

I'd like to help him further but I can't until he is able to access UEFI to disable Secure Boot and to change his Boot Order or to enable the F12 command at startup to allow a single-pass change to boot order to be made.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users