Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted A Registry File I Shouldn't Have

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bretthuge

bretthuge

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hi, as the title says i have deleted a file i shouldn't have it's: c:\windows\system32\config\sam, what can i do now? is there a way of getting it back?

i was trying to sort out this problem:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t32290.html

and was attempting to follow this advice (the harder method part):
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

but i messed it up and deleted the file, don't ask how it was just a very stupid mistake.

Can anyone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

Did you have a back-up of the registrey?
ROOTKITS BAD!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:20 PM

Boot up in safe mode and choose last known good configuration.

If that doesn't work (which it should), go to System Restore
start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

and choose a date that predates the date you deleted the file.

#4 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

Well unfortunatly the reason i was in the situation was beacuse windows wasn't working not even in safe mode so i understand that makes things rather difficult.

and i was trying to create a copy of; system.bak, software.bak, sam.bak, default.bak and security.bak, but messed thinks up the the recovery console, and am now a bit stuck....

Edited by bretthuge, 25 July 2006 - 03:12 PM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

Try a Repair install of Windows. Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hi thanks for the reply albert but it doesn't seem to have worked i got this after a while of it trying to repair:

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information.
This indicates an Internal Setup error.

Contact your system administrator.

any ideas? this sounds pretty bad to me.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316425
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#9 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

It maybe time to re-install Windows onto you computer.

Backup all of your data to CD, DVD or even another hard-drive and then just blow your machine away (Re-install your OS)
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#10 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

thanks for the replies guys unfortunetly it seems like nothing is gonna work, i'll have a bit more of a tinker but i computer whizz is right and i'll have to re-install windows, and i wish i could backup my stuff computer whizz but windows is completly inaccessible.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:27 AM

You can still backup your date if you have access to another computer.

Physically remove the hard drive in the computer with the problem, set the jumper to slave and install it in another computer.

You can then access your data and burn it to cds, dvds or whatever.

Then remove the hdd, reset the jumper back to master and reinstall it.

Format the drive and reinstall Windows.

#12 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

thanks for the help Enthusiast but i somehow got it working although i don't think it's particularly stable, but i tried the repair again and i got the same error but it then re-stalled windows from the boot cd and worked.

thanks guys, i think i should invest in a external hard drive back everything up.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

Good idea. That's exactly what I did.

Get an external drive that comes with backup software like Retrospect which will enable scheduled incremental backups at specified user set intervals.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:29 PM

If it's a bit flakey - you've achieved as much as you're gonna get (IMO). The SAM file contains a lot of the security stuff for XP - messing with it is asking for trouble!

Backup your data NOW! You're probably going to have to format and reinstall the next time that it crashes - so be prepared in advance!

Get an external drive and an imaging program. Don't bother imaging this "broken" installation (because it's broken). But after you spend the hours reinstalling, updating, and resetting up Windows - image that to the external drive.

Then, the next time the system crashes - you can reinstall the image and be back up and running in 20 minutes!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users