Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot into Win 7 after installing cloned copy of os from old computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevkaprel

stevkaprel

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

For a number of years, I used a Dell Precision 340 desktop (circa 2002) with Win 7.  Recently, I obtained a HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF (circa 2010) to replace it. The HP came with a fresh install of Win. 7 but in order to avoid going through the arduous task of cusomizing the HP  I cloned a copy of the system partition on the Dell using a spare hard drive, a IDE/Sata to USB adapter and Easus TOD Back Up Disc.  After copying the files from the spare drive to the system partition on the HP I booted the HP.  It would not boot beyond the "Starting Windows" page when it would go back to the HP Logo page and repeat the same pattern over and over again.  I could not boot into the OS.  I repeated the procedure, using Clonezilla instead of Easus.  The result was no different.  I am getting by on the HP with a fresh install of Win. 7 from a setup CD but I want to understand what I am doing wrong so I can accomplish my original goal.

The system on the Dell was configured as dual booting with Win. XP on its own partition.  Is that relevant??

It finally dawns on me, before posting this, that the old Dell was 32 bit and the new HP is 64 bit.  Is that the problem?  Is there a work-around?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

The "problem" is that you cannot clone or move any version of Windows installed on an OEM (Lenovo, Dell, et alia) system...to another system.  That copy of Windows is licensed only for use on the system that it came installed on.  Dell licenses are not valid on HP systems and the hardware settings are totally different.  The system partition on one does not transfer to the other.

FWIW:  It appears that you are correct in assuming that the Dell system originally employed a 32-bit instruction set and would not have been able to run a 64-bit version of Windows...but the reverse is not true.  Any 64-bit computer can run both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

Louis

#3 stevkaprel

stevkaprel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:45 AM

I'm sincerely grateful for all the assistance.  But there's one thing I can't get my mind around.  My Win 7 Installation Disc was supplied to me together with a Dell Optiplex gx620 Tower, 32 bit, which was made in or about 2005 and had a 2.80 Ghz CPU.  I used the very same installation disk to install the OS on a HP Compaq 6000 SFF, 64 bit, which was made in or about 2010 and has a 3.06 Ghz CPU. The makers of the two machines are obviously different and the hardware in the two machines is obviously different.  However, following the installation the HP works just fine.  In fact, I am using it as this is being written.  All that being the case, I can not understand how it can be said an OS installation supplied with one maker's machine and hardware cannot be successfully used on another maker's machine and hardware.

But then, I can't get my mind around relativity, either (old age can do that to you).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Possibly pertient...if my memory has the dates correct.

Dell systems used to be sold with installation disks which were copies of Genuine Windows XP with a few minor additions/modificationsl.  These disks were pre-SP3, which was issued (May 2008) and before the OEMs began rigorous implementation of recovery partitions and recovery disks.  This was the pre-PA era and, as the records will document, everyone with a system had a copy of XP available for install, if desired.

These disks were, up until 2005, subsequently sold by some retailers as "Windows XP installation disks" and could be installed on any system, same as a retail version of a Genuine XP disk issued by Microsoft. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_disc

Once the OEMs (particularly Dell) stopped issuing full versions of Windows XP with their systems...the result was "recovery disks" and "recovery partitions", which are the norm for OEM systems since 2005.

But...Win 7 was released long after the above mess was cleaned up and recovery partitions, recovery disks, and product activation were well in place.

When you dual-booted...the XP install files were overwritten/made useless by installing Win 7 and it's the Win 7 install which controls the dual-boot of XP and Win 7.  So cloning the drive at this point...results in a Win 7 boot files clone.

Copying boot files from an XP partition on a dual-boot...will not result in a bootable Windows XP...or a bootable Win 7, in your case.  You could delete the existing install on the new system and install XP with your old disks (probably) but that would screw up the existing Win 7 install on the new system.

Or, if you have recovery disks and no recovery partition...you could manually reinstall XP, then install Win 7 anew.

I think that you may be confused by the fact that Win 7 was already installed on the new system...and I suspect that is the Win 7 install which you now boot into and reflects no problems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2015 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users