Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smilies Not Animating

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

When working on computers in the Public Library and at the university, I've noticed that several of the smilies move. On my home computer they do not move at all.

What can I do to get them to move?

Windows XP Home edition
Firefox browser
Dial-up 56K
ZoneAlarm Privacy Suite
Spyware Blaster
Spybot
AdAware and AdWatch

I've tried adjusting the privacy settings to allow all mobile code in ZoneAlarm
I've tried enabling the webbugs
I've tried enabling Java in the Firefox browser

Is there a program I need so they will move?
Do I have broken paths?
Might it be related to my connection settings?

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

The smilies are animated .gif files.

I use IE so I can't help with Firefox.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hi Orange Blossom
Might be something in this section of the MozillaZine Knowledge Base that can help you out.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

Thank you, thank you, TMacK. I've got them moving! :thumbsup: The problem was with the FireFox configuration and I had to fix it using about:config which I didn't know about before.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

Glad you got it figured out! Posted Image
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

What exactly in about:config did you have to change to correct this problem, Orange Blossom?
It could prove helpful to other members in the future.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:35 AM

Sorry about not getting the specifics of how I got the animation to work earlier. I had to prepare for tutoring before I ran out of time. Then I completely forgot what I did, so I have spent quite a bit of time playing around with different settings in the firewall and with Firefox :) , because sad to say when I got home, the smilies didn't work in either IE or Firefox! :inlove:

Note: I use version 1.5.04 of Firefox. Earlier versions will be a bit different.
I use ZoneAlarm Privacy Suite 6.5.222.000

Important: After making any changes in the settings, to see if it works, clear the cookies for BleepingComputer and clear cache, then open a new window or tab. Simply refreshing the page won't allow the new settings to work, and they won't work if you don't remove the cookies, and sometimes it won't work if you don't clear the cache. I didn't do this originally otherwise I would have solved the problem and had this written much sooner.

TMacK sent me this LINK: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Animated_images

In reading it, I found that the problem could be caused by FireFox settings or by the firewall or some combination of the two.

Because medab1 said that she used IE and the implication was that her smilies worked, I decided to see if the smilies worked for me in IE. That way, I could figure out if the problem was with Firefox or something else.
-------------
STEP 1: Open IE and go to BleepingComputer website to a page that has moving smilies.

RESULTS: The smilies did work in IE, (the first time around) Note: IE asked if I wanted to run ActiveX and Plug-ins. I clicked NO.

The second time I fiddled around with the privacy settings in the firewall until I got it to work. Here they are:

SETTINGS for ZoneAlarm FireWall if using IE: Click on Privacy Tab on the left, then click on SITE LIST at the upper right. Scroll down until you see the website name. Right click on the website name then click on OPTIONS. Click on the Mobile Code tab at the top and make sure that Block JavaScript and Block Embedded Objects (Java, ActiveX) are not checked which will allow them to run. Click on Apply then Okay.

You can see this here boxed in orange. Apply and Okay are boxed in green. The Apply button has faded print because I already clicked on it. When you click okay, the menu closes:

Posted Image

I went back to FireFox. The article mentioned typing "about:config" in the location bar. I didn't know what the location bar was and went to Help in Firefox. The location bar is what I call the address bar. It is the same spot you type in a URL to go to a website.

STEP 2: Type: about:config in the address AKA location bar and hit enter or click on GO.

This produces a very long list. The screen looks something like this:

Posted Image

STEP 3: Scroll down the list until you see: browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing

The value should be set to TRUE. If it is not, double-click on it and it will change from FALSE to TRUE

See the line boxed in dark blue here:

Posted Image

I also made sure that image_animation_mode was set to NORMAL. I have it boxed in red here:

Posted Image

I also checked some other basic settings:

Click on TOOLS at the top of the browser screen. Click on OPTIONS, then CONTENT. Make sure that JavaScripts are enabled by checking on the box. Make sure that Load Images is checked. You can see this here boxed in purple. The part in green should NOT be checked otherwise most of the pictures on this site won't show.

Posted Image

Back to the ZoneAlarm FireWall. I have discovered that the settings for the firewall need to be slightly different than for IE.

Mobile code needs to have JavaScripts unchecked, see "SETTINGS for ZoneAlarm FireWall if using IE" above for how to get there. You can see this boxed in fushia here. Make sure to click on the boxes in green next: Apply first then Okay. The dark print of Apply means that I haven't clicked on it yet.

Posted Image

Then click on the AdBlocking Tab, and make sure that Animations is unchecked, which you can see boxed in orange here. Again make sure that you click on the boxes in green: Apply first then Okay.

Posted Image

[Unfortunately, these settings will cause a bunch of ads to appear especially before you have logged into the site :thumbsup: ].

:cool: Note, these settings will allow the smilies to move, but you will not see the signatures. For that you need to set the mobile code the same as you do for IE. See "SETTINGS for ZoneAlarm FireWall if using IE" above for how to do this. :) Um, not so. I needed to set my BleepingComputer control panel board settings to show signatures! Duh. Obviously I was sometimes checking the page without logging in! :) So, another thing folks can check if they don't see smilies, signatures or avatars is to check the page without logging in and see if they see them then. If so, they need to check their board settings in the BleepingComputer control panel after logging in to see if they have selected yes. :flowers:

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom B)

(Let me know if anything is unclear and I will edit it).

p.s. I must say that I find copying and pasting pictures much easier and faster than going through a host site, especially on Dial-up. That said, the Tutorial for how to do so was very clear and concise. :trumpet: Wish that Photobucket didn't show ads during the registration process though.

Posted Image

Edited by Scarlett, 27 July 2006 - 11:49 PM.

Orange Blossom

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:38 AM

Good Grief! those pictures are large. How do I make them smaller?

Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

Orange Blossom

For large pictures I just use the http address like this-
See picture-

http://i7.tinypic.com/2118g9f.jpg

Resizing screenshots smaller might make them unreadable.
If you do resize them,make sure they can still be read.

Edited by medab1, 26 July 2006 - 01:33 AM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for the very thorough explaination, Orange Blossom. :thumbsup:

It's really very simple to do.
All it requires is the installation af a free program, which you'll find very useful for simple image editing, and a few minutes of your time.
I use the program all the time, and it take me about 30 seconds to resize an image.
It might take you about 5 minutes if you've never used the program. :flowers:

Install IrfanView (a freeware program that a lot of the members use).

Right click the image, and depending on which browser you use, select:
Firefox = Copy image
IE = Copy

Open Irfanview, and in the toolbar at the top, click Edit and select Paste.
That will open the image in Irfanview.
Now in the toolbar click Image, and select Resize/Resample...

In the dialog box that opens, if there's not one already, put a tick/check next to these options:
on the left - Set New Size, Pixels, and Preserve aspect ratio
on the right - Resample (better quality)

Under Set New Size you'll see a Width and Height box with some numbers in them.
The numbers are the present size of your image.
Change the Width number to whatever you want the image to be (I suggest 800, or smaller).
This will automatically change the Height number to the proper size, so the image won't be distorted (that's what the Preserve aspect ratio setting does).

Under Resample (better quality) use the dropdown arrow to select Lanczos (slowest), if it's not already selected.

Click the OK button at the bottom.

There you go.
You've just resized an image. :trumpet:

Now, in the Toolbar click File, and select Save as....
This will open the Save Picture As... dialog box.
Pick a place to save it; Save in:
Name it; File name:
To the right of Save as type:, use the dropdown arrow and select JPG.

At the very bottom, put a check next to Show options dialog.
In the dialog box that opens, at the top, move the slider to the left, to 60.
Now, click the Save button.

That's all there there is to it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

Right click the image, and depending on which browser you use, select:
Firefox = Copy image
IE = Copy
Open Irfanview, and in the toolbar at the top, click Edit and select Paste.
That will open the image in Irfanview.
Now in the toolbar click Image, and select Resize/Resample...
In the dialog box that opens, if there's not one already, put a tick/check next to these options:
on the left - Set New Size, Pixels, and Preserve aspect ratio
on the right - Resample (better quality)

Under Set New Size you'll see a Width and Height box with some numbers in them.
The numbers are the present size of your image.
Change the Width number to whatever you want the image to be (I suggest 800, or smaller).
This will automatically change the Height number to the proper size, so the image won't be distorted (that's what the Preserve aspect ratio setting does).

Thanks tg1911. :thumbsup: As I was reading the directions, :flowers: I suddenly remembered I have Adobe Photoshop and Adobe ImageReady. I didn't think of it because it never occurred to me I could use it for editing screen shots. As you can see, I've made the images much smaller. :trumpet:

Orange Blossom

Dashing off to tutoring again

Orange Blossom

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

:thumbsup: Post 7, the one with all the setting information has been edited.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

I know that your explanatory post took some time and effort, Orange Blossom, and certainly thank you for this contribution and for sharing this with our membership.
Many thanks,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:01 AM

Your Welcome jgweed. I hope it will help other folks avoid the level of frustration that I had.

Also thanks to TMacK, tg1911, and medab1. I couldn't have done it without them. :thumbsup: This is a great website community.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

#15 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

I know that your explanatory post took some time and effort, Orange Blossom, and certainly thank you for this contribution and for sharing this with our membership.
Many thanks,
John

Great explanation Orange Blossom! Posted Image BTW,the lesson on Imaging and Resizing was very helpful for me!

Edited by TMacK, 27 July 2006 - 11:38 AM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users