Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG tune up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

Hi All

I recently got rid of AVG, mainly because of thoughts expressed on this forum, but I am still on their mailing list. They have offered me a one off "PC tune up". It probably means some sort of registry cleaner and that is frowned upon particularly in this forum.

what are your thoughts?

regards

Cluey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:10 AM

Hi there,

AVG TuneUp is considered a PC optimizer, and they are not recommended here in BC.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

AVG PC TuneUp is a program by the makers of AVG Antivirus which claims to be an optimizing tool with registry cleaning capability that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer in addition to a number of other speed boosting features. AVG PC TuneUp is available as a stand-alone product...with a free trial for which you will have to pay once the trial period expires. AVG PC TuneUp also may come bundled with other free software you download from the Internet. If you previously used (or removed) AVG Antivirus, you may receive alerts and prompts from the vendor's subscription service to download and try it.

AVG PC TuneUp is a computer maintenance and optimization tool that you can install together with AVG. This standalone application analyzes and fixes different issues that might occur on your computer, speeding up the system and making it more secure.

What is AVG PC TuneUp
AVG TuneUp Utilities FAQs

Do not waste your money on these junk programs.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 KarmaKat

KarmaKat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:08 PM

Just FYI and in case it will help anybody - AVG Web Tuneup was unintentionally installed on my computer and it subsequently started using up my entire 1TB hard drive by storing something in a folder under the"users" profile - you have to first show hidden folders because it's in one of those - for my Windows 8.1 system it was under Users\(Name)\AppData\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\AC\AVG Web Tuneup.  I first went to programs and uninstalled AVG Web Tuneup (it took a few minutes), then deleted the folder mentioned above (it tells you the file is too big for the recycle bin - asks do you want to permanently delete it - OF COURSE I DO!), and that freed up the 700 GB of data it had taken.  Don't know why this happened but it was a PIA to track down.  AVG Antivirus Free has always been great, but AVG Web Tuneup - NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

AVG Web TuneUp is a free browser add-on by the makers of AVG Antivirus that claims to improve browsing experience. AVG Web Tuneup offers several features to include...
- Site Safety provides safety ratings for websites and shows which search results are safe to click.
- Do Not Track shows which websites are collecting data on your online activities and permits you to block or allow them.
- Browser Cleaner protects privacy by deleting all of your browsing history and cookies.

Although it is available as a stand-alone download, AVG Web TuneUp (like AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar) is commonly bundled with other software you download from the Internet. So even if you never used the program you may still end up finding it on your system some point after an AVG update or by unknowingly downloading and installing another program where it has been bundled. This also explains how those who never used AVG Antivirus also sometimes find AVG Web TuneUp installed. Be careful what you download and read everything during the installation.

#6 KarmaKat

KarmaKat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

Yes, I am well aware of the "bundling" that AVG and other programs do, and always uncheck anything they try to add on - this download was done by my husband who wasn't paying close attention,and since it was from AVG he thought it was trustworthy.  The point of my post, though, is that no matter how it gets on your computer, there's no reason it should eat up your hard drive like that and totally disable your computer - that's total BS.  So I do know how it got on there, just not why it consumed all of my disk space (obviously this is not helpful in any way).  I merely posted to help others who might be having the same problem (suddenly full hard drive for no apparent reason) and save them hours of looking through folders and searching the internet for answers.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

No problem with your posting...In fact, we have received a lot of complaints from various members in regards to the same issue you described.

However, the original topic is about AVG PC TuneUp which differs from AVG Web Tuneup. I added my comments for others who may read this topic in order to avoid confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users