Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Just Died -- Would Like to Save Data from HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Milk

Orange Milk

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

Hello,

So laptop's mobo just short-circuited.. It was working fine, and then my laptop instantly powered off.  Additionally, when I plug my charger into an outlet, the green light indicator will turn on.  However, once I plug the charger into my laptop, it turns off again.  I've looked this problem up online, and I basically found out I'm SOL.  I really wish now that I can just recover the files that I have.

I've previously had problems with my laptop and data recovery (www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581575/laptop-is-giving-me-problems-after-closing-lid/), but I was not expecting it to completely die this time -- there is no light, noise, or anything when I hit the power button.  Conveniently enough, this happens right as I have university finals (please note the sarcasm).

I would just like to know if any of you are aware of ways to recover my data that doesn't involve buying universal adapters or other equipment (is possible).  If not, I'll look into this soon enough, but I thought I would ask first.

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Yeah sadly getting an adapter is going to be your best bet.

If all you have is laptops or a desktop case without SSD compatible trays.

I mean if you do have a desktop and have spare sata cables you could just hang the laptop drive outside of the case.

Not saying its ideal but it will save money.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:11 AM

You have a few options. The easiest would be if you had a desktop laying around somewhere. Im guessing your laptops new enough to have SATA hard drives, if you have a modern desktop it should use the same standard.

The first step is to locate the hard drive panel on the bottom of the laptop (should have a little image of a disc drive on it held on by one or more screws. worse comes to worse, the laptops dead, just dissassemble until you find it, should be rectangular, silver or black, with 2 connectors on one end) and slide it out.

Then, find your desktop, turn it off, remove the side panel, locate an extra SATA power and SATA connector (may have to disconnect your optical drive, but thats ok, its just to transfer files) and while making sure you ground yourself by touching part of the metal frame of the tower first, plug in the hard drive, and boot up. If your planning on continual use, make sure you have a 3.5 to 2.5 inch adaptor to screw it in, if its just to transfer files, you can rest it on the bottom of the tower until your done transferring files, then shut the computer down and remove.

Alternatively, you can purchase a external hard drive enclosure relatively cheap and put it in one of those. Advantages are you can keep and transfer your files, but you also have a portable hard drive that you can take with you and use to backup your files.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182313&cm_re=hard_drive_enclosure-_-17-182-313-_-Product

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

Well any laptop made in the last decade or so has had SATA compatibility

And he bought his laptop about three years ago according to the topic he referenced.

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 December 2015 - 12:17 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:18 AM

I figured it was a safe assumption. But on the rare occasion I still run into the occasional person with the dinosaur IDE setup. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

Its less common in laptops though, thats because I do think Sata was adapted in laptops first.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:22 AM

I still have about 3-4 IDE laptops laying around lol in any case. were getting off topic. Hope our advice helps the op find a solution. :D

Edited by the_patriot11, 14 December 2015 - 12:23 AM.

picard5.jpg

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

It's a SATA port system.  The simplest way to attempt data file transfer...would be to remove the hard drive and attach it as a secondary drive in another system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#9 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for the help! I'll try the SATA thing.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:32 AM

If you have Dvdrw installed on say a desktop use the power cables from that for the Sata connections. 

To get the Data off - Use Recuva from  https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Install Program and run it - search the lappy drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users