Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows\system32\config\system message on startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HitzX

HitzX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

I'm running windows XP on my Mac Book. I have it partitioned for that. Anywho I hadn't used this computer in a very long time (since 2008) because the screen was cracked. Got that fixed and everything worked fine for like a few weeks then the battery stopped charging and now I have to use the cable to get power to the Mac Book. So I held down option button one day while starting it up to choose my windows xp side and I get this message saying windows was missing windows\system32\config\system on the black screen. Anyway I have the original windows xp installation disc. So I tried to start windows with the disk so that I could run windows repair. Then when I press 1 as the option to start windows it gives me a blue screen of death. What can I do .....? Where to start...?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi ..

A couple of options, but since this is older, sounds like the hard drive may be failing, however bad_pool_caller is often a device driver problem, a repair install might help and certainly will not do any harm.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system
   1/ Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2/ When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
   Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
Now - To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
 -   Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
 -   Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
 -   Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you know the type of HDD you can try the general tests on it, but I do not know if you run a Windows or Mac system ....

I know this is a bit vague, but others may have more ideas -

Thanks.

#3 HitzX

HitzX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

My theory is that once the battery stopped working and the power source relied on the cable... Well I was running windows xp at the time and I remember the cable disconnecting several times. That could have caused a bad boot sector and corrupted a file. Any who I appreciate the suggestion and will try this then I will let you know what the results were.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:22 AM

Hi -

I have used several laptops that only ran off the (Power) cable without any problems.

All that I did was replace the Main battery, and also the "Small backup" installed battery in the computer.

Replace both of these as soon as you can, and follow the Repair / Reinstall method above ..

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users