Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build or buy....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Smokintronx

Smokintronx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

I need to be able to run design software and found that my newish HP Pavilion dv7's graphics card, Intel® HD Graphics 4000,  is not up to the task. I am not a gamer, but I think the specs I require are close enough, if not more than an o.k. gaming machine would require? So my thought is If both requirements are similar I should spend a bit more to meet both as to improve resale  value if the need be.

Requirements:

Operating System: Windows 8 (64 bit), Windows 7(64 bit) Processor: Intel Core i7 or AMD equivalent System Memory: 8 GB RAM Disk Space: 10 GB free disk space for install Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or ATI Radeon HD 6950 or better* Optical Drive: DVD-ROM "Purchasing a computer with a solid-state drive will make the entire designing experience more enjoyable."

I have considered these:  http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide     http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/build-an-amazing-geforce-gtx-970-pc-for-under-1000  (I would never spend that money on the case, I prefer function over form and my budget gets tight the closer I get toward 1k

I already have monitor mouse and keyboard. 

Thanks in advance for your amazing advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

Electronics generally do not hold much value even in the span of 9-12 months, I feel one should build better than their needs to carry them for a decent period of time.

You say you have 10g's available for your graphics card, are you saying is what space is left on the drive?  If it is IMO you may run into issues fairly soon, I do not go past 3/4 total capacity on any HD/SSD.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Smokintronx

Smokintronx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

Thank you Oldphil for your response.

Yes, I agree with you on how fast electronics devalue. (not considering vintage collectibles)

Sorry, my cut and paste looks confusing for the system requirements from the software manufacturer. It should be more like this.

Hardware Recommendations (Recommended)

Operating System: Windows 7(64 bit), Windows 8 (64bit),

Processor: Intel Core i7 or AMD equivalent

System Memory: 8 GB RAM Disk Space: 10 GB free disk space for install

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or ATI Radeon HD 6950 or better *

Optical Drive: DVD-ROM

http://www.2020spaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2020Design_SystemRecommendations_V11_20150409.pdf 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

Go to start right click computer and click on manage, when it opens in the left pain click disk management it will give your drive info.

#5 Smokintronx

Smokintronx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

OldPhil,

I am confused by your questioning. I think I have not made my situation clear.

My problem is that my current laptop, an HP Pavilion dv7, has a gpu that will not run the design software I need to use. My limited experience with computers tells me that there is no solution/fix for my laptop. So...

My goal is to build or buy a desktop that at least meets the above specs that can do the job.

But if you are questioning my current computer with a idea for a fix, I am all ears : )

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:55 PM

Well its up to you if you want to build or buy, in another forum I just bumped into this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883282681

It has core i5 skylake and seems like a real trooper for a prebuilt.

It doesnt have much room for GPU's but one can be installed,

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

Are you a hundred percent sure it's your graphic card?  What design software are you trying to use?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

My bad read fast and screwed up!

#9 Smokintronx

Smokintronx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

No problem OldPhil.

King David, from the software manufacturer; "We strongly recommend a dedicated graphics card by either NVIDIA, ATI or AMD. Please avoid systems that only have integrated graphics, such as Intel HD Graphics or AMD APUs." I have a Intel HD 4000 on my laptop, and if I have my facts straight I can not upgrade it or use an external GPU. The software manufacturer recommends " NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or ATI Radeon HD 6950 or better" The software is 2020 Design V11. It can produce picture quality perspective renderings.

Madman, Thanks for the link. This may be the best way for me to go, buy a value prebuilt then upgrade the weak links. I would have to at least stuff a GeForce GTX 750 or better in that one. 

I really don't know, but that is why I am here : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users