Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 pro, Can't check for disk errors while it's still in use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

Hey guys, crazy thing is I don't see any processes that could prevent me from doing the check. I haven't launched anything and task manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary besides the blips in svchost as usual. Hopefully i didn't break something or pick up a bug... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

Usually when you run a chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt you will get an output saying the drive needs to be locked and checkdisk will start at the next reboot. Do you get this message?

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

I got the dialog window asking if I wanted to run the check on the next restart.....however, I'm still waiting for a response after clicking schedule disk check. I'm now thinking nothing happens after that. The reason for the disk check is that my system is running slow now. I'll try the restart and see if anything shows up or windows tells me the check is running or ran.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

Yes, you need to do a restart before chkdsk starts. You will not see anything after the notice saying to do a reboot.

If the computer is running slow the first thing I would do is check the hard drive using Seatools for Windows. The slowdown could be do to a failing drive. It's best to rule that out at the start.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

#5 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, at start up I could see check disk doing its thing. Curious, but that link doesn't seem to be working for me. Maybe it's my mozilla settings. I turned off no scripts temporarily. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

I just noticed it doesn't work for me either. It worked earlier today. Try this one. There is a link for Seatools for Windows along with the guide.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users