Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot find %windir%system32

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 theuntje

theuntje

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'm having problems with my Asus N56. I'm using Windows 8. I accidently deleted all my environment variables. If I want to go to my advanced system properties I get an error like %windir%system32/propertiesadvanced.exe cannot be found. When I try to go back to a recent backup moment it gives an similiar error message. Of course it was stupid to delete them. 

Can someone help me with this problem. Addition to this problem is that I removed my CD drive for an HDD drive. So I can't use an recovery disc. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 December 2015 - 05:55 PM.
Moved from 'BSODs etc.' to 'Win 8/8.1'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

why don't you just get a new fresh installation of windows

#3 theuntje

theuntje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

Would that mean I need the serial key for my Windows? Because I cant use any of the software to check mine because of these errors

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:41 AM

If it is a OEM (preinstalled) key, it will automatically detected by Windows after installation and activate, you no need to do anything. If it is a retail key (you buy it yourself) then the product key will be on the label inside the box when you buy it.

Edited by batman1234, 14 December 2015 - 05:43 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 theuntje

theuntje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

So if I get a CD from a friend with Windows 8. I can access it in the bios and windows will find the key automatically?

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

Is your computer comes with Windows installed or you install it yourself?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#7 theuntje

theuntje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:32 AM

Windows was already installed on my pc when I bought it. So even when I use the disc of a friend it still finds the key on my pc?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

If it is a OEM (preinstalled) key, it will automatically detected by Windows after installation and activate, you no need to do anything. If it is a retail key (you buy it yourself) then the product key will be on the label inside the box when you buy it.

This true only if it is the exact same version of Windows which was originally installed.  If this originally was Window 8 and you upgraded to 8.1 you will need to install Windows 8 and then upgrade it to 8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

@ theuntje

Your computer has a recovery partition which can be used to restore the operating system to the way it came out of the box.  You will need to have all of your important data backed up on removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs, Cloud, etc.  Using the recovery partition will remove anything which was added after the first time you started the computer.

Have you tried using this partition?

Instructions are below.  Click on the image to expand it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ab.PNG   54KB   1 downloads

Edited by dc3, 14 December 2015 - 08:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 theuntje

theuntje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:55 AM

@ theuntje

Your computer has a recovery partition which can be used to restore the operating system to the way it came out of the box.  You will need to have all of your important data backed up on removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs, Cloud, etc.  Using the recovery partition will remove anything which was added after the first time you started the computer.

Have you tried using this partition?

Instructions are below.  Click on the image to expand it.

I will try this immediately when I get home from work. I use 2 drives, one SSD with only Windows and a HDD where all my other documents are stored. Many thanks so far!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

I'm guessing you added the SSD to this computer?

If you did add the SSD how did you install Windows 8/8.1 on it?

If you did add the SSD did you uninstall Windows from the HDD that came with the computer?

#12 theuntje

theuntje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

Yes I bought the SSD and installed windows on it. I believe the program I used was paritition wizard. After that I removed Windows from the HDD

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

Do you still have the image you created with Partition Wizard?

#14 theuntje

theuntje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

No I haven't got anything just the copy of windows which is set on the SSD. 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

What version of Windows was originally installed, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

Is the current version installed on the SSD activated?

Edited by dc3, 14 December 2015 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users