Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Hard Drive - Process of getting system back up and running?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

dc3 has helped me to determine by running some tests that I need a new hard drive.  That thread can be viewed here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598621/getting-message-saying-windows-detected-a-hard-disk-problem/.   I have ordered the new hard drive and found a youtube video showing how to install it.  My question is, what else do I need to know about getting my system up and running?  I have the Windows 7 disc but thats it.  Do I need to add Bios or anything?  Do I need to order my operating discs online or anything?  Or do I just put the windows 7 disc in and fire it up?  I have a Panasonic CF-52.  If I am posting in the wrong forum, can you please direct me to the correct forum?  Thank you in advance for your help.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

If this is a Windows 7 install disk from the OEM (Panasonic) then just boot up and let it install to the new drive. The drivers should be included. If this is a retail Windows 7 with key on the package you may need to install some drivers after the install. Check Panasonics support site first for any drivers.

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

This is a retail Windows 7 that was upgraded from XP.  What kind of drivers am I looking for?  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

Is this a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows 7? Windows 7 drivers for a computer that originally was installed with XP can be problematic, especially 64 bit drivers. Your drivers would be Ethernet,Wirelessm, and graphics for sure. Possibly your trackpad. According to your specs here the graphics chipset is a Intel GMA X3100. I am not sure there are Windows 7 drivers for this older chipset, especially 64bit drivers.

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

I am running the 32 bit.  I am not very good at this stuff.  I didn't understand much of what you said.  But I appreciate you saying it.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

Just put the Windows 7 disk in the computer and boot. Let it finish the install. After the install we can try finding any drivers needed. Look in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks after you finish installing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/133240

#7 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

OK,  I didn't receive the drive yet.  I will probably get it Tuesday.  I have the Windows disc.  I was just trying to make sure I have everything I need because I am still using the computer for work and I am hoping not to be down for more than a night because I use it for work.  Is there a free program that would allow me to take a snapshot of my current computer and put it on the new set up?  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

If the drive is failing that will not work. 

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

Ok no problem.  Is there anything that I can do before I get the HD that would make the day I get it easier?  The only backup I have is a tablet that doesn't have office and I need to be able to view and edit word docs and view pdf docs for my job.  Sorry for all of the questions and I really appreciate your help John.  Im just trying to make it so I can install it at nite and be up and running for work the next day.    Can you let me know what to do as the first step when I get the HD so I can be ready for that? 

Edited by chugg, 13 December 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

Are you asking for programs to edit word docs view pdf's after you install Windows 7 or doing this on the tablet? What OS is on the tablet? Do you have a make and model of the tablet?

#11 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

After I install windows 7, I will install a Microsoft Office program I have or I am looking into getting Office 365 but I dont think that allows you to edit docs. .  I am speaking about the tablet.  I need to be able to edit, view and create  Microsoft word docs on it.  I need to also view PDF's but that shouldn't be a problem.   The tablet is just a cheap one I recently bought.  It is an RCA RCA W101_v2.

Edited by chugg, 13 December 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

Does it use Android? If so then use this app. It has very good compatibility with Windows.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wps.moffice_eng&hl=e

This is a Windows tablet.  This is it, correct? Edit: Link for RCA

You should be able to download and install WPS here and PDFxchange Viewer here. These will do the job.

Edit Edit: Use the exe installer of PdfXchange Viewer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 December 2015 - 09:58 PM.

#13 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

yes that is the correct link to the tablet.  WPS did the trick.  That is a great program.  You dont know of any programs like that that I can export my outlook to do you?  I use tasks the most in outlook.  

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

You can try exporting to a CSV file and then importing the CSV file to WPS spreadsheet. It will not look pretty but it may be enough to get you by before the hard drive arrives

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=38685

#15 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

I have another way through Dejaoffice that I will do for Outlook.  The hard drive is actually performing well and I am using it right now.  Hopefully it will keep running until I get the new one.  I will let you know when it arrives. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users