Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD software update for drivers.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 a few weeks ago.  Mostly no issues; a few minor thing that I handled on my own.  Ran into a problem a couple weeks ago when Windows Defender refused to function, and Malwarebytes refused to open.  I think we got that squared away.  Clean on all deep scans and using the official uninstall for Bitdefender fixed up Windows Defender.  It was an upgrade issue / conflict that apparently took a couple of weeks to show itself.

Now I am being prompted by AMD to download an update package that will include drivers.  I am leery of this, because not savvy enough to deal with big problems and drivers can cause big problems.  Should I trust AMD's prompt to follow their instructions for the update?  Or is this an, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it situation"?  I trust people here.  Your advice is always well reasoned and thoroughly explained.

(HP also wants to me allow an update package, but HP software has never been anything but trouble and they don't believe in customer service, so I have refused to allow that one.)

All advice is appreciated.  Thank you.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 December 2015 - 06:59 PM.
Moved from 'Audio and Video' to 'Win 10'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

I would definitely upgrade the drivers if an official AMD source is prompting you to. Even though your system might be performing fine right now, drivers always helps your computer to have maximum efficiency. Do you know what type of drivers it is asking you to install?

#3 Help_Computers_Sick_

Help_Computers_Sick_

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

I have An HP with AMD. The way i would deal with the update issue is go to AMD site there is an option to let amd discover drivers needed. Choose that option if there is an updated driver there install it then if the driver update promt you mentioned is legit it will stop. It is getting harder to determine anymore if most prompt received are legit so i always go directly to the source if i receive any driver update prompts.

#4 Help_Computers_Sick_

Help_Computers_Sick_

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

Also the HP update may be for 3d drive guard. Open device manager and see if anything has yellow triangle or shows unrecognized device if so thats probably what it is.

#5 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 a few weeks ago.  Mostly no issues; a few minor thing that I handled on my own.  Ran into a problem a couple weeks ago when Windows Defender refused to function, and Malwarebytes refused to open.  I think we got that squared away.  Clean on all deep scans and using the official uninstall for Bitdefender fixed up Windows Defender.  It was an upgrade issue / conflict that apparently took a couple of weeks to show itself.

Now I am being prompted by AMD to download an update package that will include drivers.  I am leery of this, because not savvy enough to deal with big problems and drivers can cause big problems.  Should I trust AMD's prompt to follow their instructions for the update?  Or is this an, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it situation"?  I trust people here.  Your advice is always well reasoned and thoroughly explained.

(HP also wants to me allow an update package, but HP software has never been anything but trouble and they don't believe in customer service, so I have refused to allow that one.)

All advice is appreciated.  Thank you

Windows Defender runs actively by default so running any other active anti-malware software will cause a whole host of problems as they'll both be trying to shut the other down. I download drivers for my graphics board directly from AMD and it has yet to cause even the slightest hint of a problem so I think you're safe to download the drivers you need from them as well because not downloading them will lead to problems eventually,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users