Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about possible upgrade to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been considering updating my Windows 7 Pro machine to Windows 10 for a while now, but I am wondering if the below is possible. . .

Before I go through the bother of updating and possibly having to restore back to 7 Pro if something goes wrong, or if my system simply doesn’t like Windows 10, I do happen to have a perfectly good 500GB drive lying around. Can I download the Windows Media Creation Tool and an ISO of Windows 10 and install it on that drive? That way I can simply plug the existing drive back in if something is not right. So, can I still get an ISO, and if yes, how long can I test it before I must enter a license key?

Also, if I can do that, will there be a problem when I re-install my original drive and update to Windows 10 (assuming it works correctly)?

Thanks everyone.  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Unless you use something like the Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program you can't do what you're proposing.

The ISO from the Media Creation Tool presumes that you are upgrading or installing on to the main drive that already holds Windows on your machine.

You could, I suppose, use a drive cloner for your actual system drive on to that spare one so that you have an exact image of it as it currently exists (provided the original is not larger and has more data than the secondary drive can hold).  You could then either transplant the cloned drive and do a normal upgrade or do the upgrade on your current system drive while having the cloned drive as your plug n' play restoration plan.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

You need to find a way to check it out,see if you like it,maybe play around with a friends 10,go to a good computer shop and ask for a demo..ive got a 7 i really like,

ive done customizations and software upgrades and loads of work on it..im not upgrading it ...ever.

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thank you, Brian,

I was afraid what I wanted wasn’t possible, but I thought I would ask. Windows 10 works very well on an HP desktop I recently updated from 8.1, but it didn’t work well at all until the November update.  In fact, I was just about to revert back to 8.1 on that machine.

As far as the Windows 7 machine, I guess I will wait until the next major update before I decide. I really like Windows 7 anyway, so there isn’t a rush on my part.  I’ll give Microsoft a bit more time to iron out a few more bugs.

Thanks again   :thumbup2:

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

Oh dont get me started on the November update.

I may even make a poem, something like:

Remember remember the update of November, the Windows 10 Treason and plot

For I know of no reason why the Windows 10 treason should ever be forgot

Satya Nadella and his companions did the scheme contrive, 
To blow up my computer and ruin my hard drive!
Of updates and failures were commonplace,
and a angered look came upon my face.
But by Linux I shall prevail, my temper is righteous and I will not fail!

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

:hysterical: ..... :thumbsup: :clapping:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

Well its a work in progress :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

:hysterical:

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

Well its a work in progress :D

Much like windows 10 :flamethrower: :busy:

Edited by Wolverine 7, 16 December 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#10 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

64iQhmI.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users