Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD STOP 0x00000024, HDD now RAW

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

I have a Compaq Presarion with Windows XP. I was about to shut down the computer when I completely froze and the computer went silent. I turned off the computer a turned it back on. Winodws XP failed to load and I got the BSOD with the STOP 0x00000024 error code. I tried going on to the recovery console but that also failed. I was able to access the files on the HDD using Puppy Linux. These are the steps that I took:

• Renamed ntfs.sys to ntfs.old
  • Copied ntfs.sys from the I386 folder - computer still fails to go to Windows XP
  • Used faulty HDD as slave drive for another computer
  • Tried to access main partition of faulty drive - error message "Drive is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
  • Other partition of faulty drive can be accessed.
  • Looked at properties of faulty partition. RAW type, 0 bytes used space, 0 bytes free space
  • Used recovery console to perform CHKDSK on both partitions of faulty HDD
  • Same problem, partition can still be accessed on Puppy Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

If you're getting the STOP 0x24 error and the file system is "RAW" - then it's most likely that the hard drive is dead/dying.

It's not unusual to be able to access the files as you describe - but attempting to recover them may/may not be successful.

To verify this, please run these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

If uncertain of what test to use, use the Seagate Seatools for DOS.

EDIT:  if this is an older, IDE type drive - you may have more success with using the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test (DFT) test

Edited by usasma, 15 December 2015 - 07:08 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

The HDD is an IDE type so I used the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Some of the links provided are either broken or redirected. The live CD version was not available but I had another HDD with a working windows system for me to use the Windows version. I ran the extended test and the HDD passed all tests without any faults.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

If the hard drive is OK, then you'll have to re-initialize and re-format the partition that's RAW - then reinstall Windows.

As you can access the partition w/Linux - you may be able to recover the data from it that way.

But a bigger question (IMO) is ... What caused the problem in the first place?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

I don't know what caused the computer to freeze and go quiet. The computer runs slowly when on Windows XP so I was using the Puppy Linux live CD most of the time. I used Windows so that I could print a document. I was about to click on 'start' to shut down the computer and that was when it froze.

What would be the best way to recover the data and re-initialise the partition?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

Recovering the data can be done with the Puppy Linux and an external hard drive.

Just copy the data that you want to save to the external hard drive.

As for reinitializing, the best thing to do is to run the Windows XP installer.

It'll reinitialize the drive and install Windows for you.

Good luck!

#7 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

I have a hard drive image that I created last year using Runtime's DriveImage XML. Would it be better to restore the partition using DriveImage or to reinitialise from the beginning? If I need to use the Windows XP installer where would I find it? I don't have the Windows XP CD but the recovery partition is unaffected and I can copy the files if they are on the hard drive.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

It's your call what you do.

If the recovery partition works - that would be easiest.  But it would leave you with a fresh, clean system.

The DriveImage would bring you to the point where the system was a year ago.  And, if the recovery partition isn't satisfactory, you can always overwrite it with the DriveImage (or the other way around).

#9 myRiad_spartans

myRiad_spartans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

I used the DriveImage since I don't have to reinstall everything. I added files that I recovered using Linux and changed the antivirus since the subscription expired. The system is working now. If there is nothing to add then you can close this case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users