I have a Compaq Presarion with Windows XP. I was about to shut down the computer when I completely froze and the computer went silent. I turned off the computer a turned it back on. Winodws XP failed to load and I got the BSOD with the STOP 0x00000024 error code. I tried going on to the recovery console but that also failed. I was able to access the files on the HDD using Puppy Linux. These are the steps that I took:
- Renamed ntfs.sys to ntfs.old
- Copied ntfs.sys from the I386 folder - computer still fails to go to Windows XP
- Used faulty HDD as slave drive for another computer
- Tried to access main partition of faulty drive - error message "Drive is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
- Other partition of faulty drive can be accessed.
- Looked at properties of faulty partition. RAW type, 0 bytes used space, 0 bytes free space
- Used recovery console to perform CHKDSK on both partitions of faulty HDD
- Same problem, partition can still be accessed on Puppy Linux