Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request for new dedicated sections on the Forum, what do you think ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SWOS

SWOS

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

I was advised to use this section to post a suggestion for the forum.

May I suggest that you have separate main sections all named specifically for questions that regard individual PC hardware/software/components/CPU overclocking/motherboards/CPU's/graphics cards and so on and on and on.

From what I have observed on the forum this seems to be what it lacks and most people appear to be only posting in the parts of the forum that have the most amount of posts and comments in them, but when people are wanting to ask about specific things there is really nowhere to post things up apart from the "Internal Harware" section (well from what I can see anyway), well personally I think that is a waste of time as if we had separate sections for separate types of subjects then there is a far far greater chance that someone will be able to answer the said subjects quicker and better, dont you all agree ???

You could have separate Internal hardware sections something like this maybe ?

General Hardware - for General computer hardware discussions

Full Systems & Bundles - For Full Systems and Bundles discussions 

CPU's - For AMD, Intel or any other processor discussions

Overclocking & Cooling - For discussions about Overclocking & cooling tips

Water/liquid cooling & Air Cooling - For all discussions about water/liquid cooling & Air Cooling

Motherboards - For discussions about all matters relating to motherboards

Memory (Ram) - For any discussions about Memory brands,speeds,compatibility,settings & performance

Graphics Cards - For discussions about all Graphics Cards, settings & drivers 

Monitors - For discussions about all types of Computer Monitors & TV's

Gaming Peripherals - For discussions about all types of keyboards, mice, headsets, controllers and peripherals

Storage Drives - For discussions about all matters relating to hard disk drives and solid state drives

Optical Storage & Writing - For discussions about all types of CD,DVD & Blu Ray hardware/software/disks etc

Audio - For discussions about all types of sound cards, speakers, headphones and MP3 players etc

Internet & Network Connectivity - For all discussions about Network hardware, configuration & Internet connectivity issues

Computer Case - For any discussions about Cases large & small + modding 

Power Supplies - For discussions about all types of power supplies and related hardware

Laptops & Tablets - For discussions about all types of Laptops, Notebooks, PDAs & Apple

Servers - For discussions about all types of Server related subjects hardware/software etc

Printers - For discussions about printers, Inkjet, Laser and 3D printing or anything else

Edited by SWOS, 13 December 2015 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SWOS

SWOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

You can let me know what you all think please, that's just a rough guide but straight away even as rough as it is you can see that people would have dedicated areas for each thing they required to ask or help with, agreed ?

The forum has quite a lot of members by the look of it and I think something like this could only make it get even bigger and better :)

But that is up to you Staff members and/or the main owner of the website forum :)

p.s

I may have missed some sections or they might not be in the best order but you can get the exact hang of what I mean, eh ?

Edited by SWOS, 13 December 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Having different forums for such things as cases, CPU's, motherboards, RAM, etc. would only get confusing.

When people ask about such things it is usually in relation to replacing, upgrading or building a new system.

Suppose someone wants to build a system. Would they have to ask about every component in a different forum? Would those who offer advice have to answer in all those forums?

We already have forums dedicated to upgrading and building a system. Someone starts a topic and everything related is posted in that topic.

At times things can be so intertwined that it is not easy to determine WHERE to post.

"Laptops & Tablets - For discussions about all types of Laptops, Notebooks, PDAs & Apple"

You are not the first to suggest a separate forum for laptops.

The best answer I can give you for not having a separate laptop forum is this

Hi there,

In here laptops and desktops post in the same place - we don't need a separate forum for laptops, as aside from the hardware difference, the software is the same.

Regards,
Alex

If someone has a problem with a laptop, they can post in the appropriate forum for that issue.
If looking for a new laptop or desktop they can post in Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer.

In addition, someone could have a problem that on the surface seems to be related to a particular component. There is the possibility that the problem is not with that component but a different one.

Example: someone with a desktop with a monitor that will not work. He/she posts in Monitors. Suppose it is not the monitor but the graphics port on the motherboard going bad or if a separate graphics card the port on it dies? So after determining that it may not be the monitor would the topic have to be moved to Graphics?

Sound is another one. It could be the speakers, which would be external hardware. Or it could be the sound port no longer works. One simply has to consider all possibilities during the trouble-shooting phase and the issue could be totally different than what a poster expected.

Another issue with a laptop forum (for examaple)would be people who have a problem with email, web browser, software or anything else not related to laptop hardware. "I have a problem with my email, I have a laptop so I will post in the laptop forum".

Right now, the way Bleeping Computer is set up works well for us.

I will tell you that Bleeping Computer does add new forums from time to time.

Several months ago the Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forum was added.

And last week the Backup, Imaging, and Disk Management Software forum was created.

We do listen to what members have to say about adding other forums, but the final decision is based on "is it really needed?" and "will it benefit our members?".

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 December 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#4 SWOS

SWOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

Its not confusing at all no, it is just now though, there seems to be a massive free for all in the "Internal hardware" section and people are obviously just posting most things in there because they can clearly see that section has most posts etc.

For example, I came on here and straight off looked for a dedicated section for CPU's, CPU overclocking and liquid sealed loop cooling kits and I seen there is no such sections that I could see anyway.

So I done what everyone else done and that was to jump straight into the Internal hardware section and I posted there kind of knowing I possibly wouldn't get a reply (maybe) and I don't think I have still, but I used that section as I could see its the busiest section just as most others see too.

Now, I am merely making suggestions and nothing else, but I think it looks very confusing as it is now because people all in one section all posting about very different types of hardware questions & answers, that is confusing, if everything was like the way I only suggest then it would be so simple.

For example, I come in here and join and wish to ask about a CPU, so I go straight to the hardware category and then its sub sections and find the one for CPU's (ask anything about a cpu), then I look for lets say the water cooler section, I go there and ask all questions about a water cooler and then finally lets say I want to check errrm, buy a new SSD, I would go to the Hard Drive/SSD section for that and so on and on, how can that be confusing ?

Look, right off, I am not here for any argument at all if you think that, I am suggesting things that's all, but if you guys feel that its perfect as it is then so be it :)

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

I certainly do not see your posts as an argument.

I call it a difference of opinion. As long as each others views and opinions are respected and there is no flaming, baiting or name calling (which I don't expect to see in this topic since you don't seem to be the type to engage is such) it's all good.

You do have the right to post your suggestions.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

Just jumping in to say one quick thing: this would make perfect sense if BleepingComputer was a forum/website totally dedicated to hardware (like Overclock.net), but it isn't. BleepingComputer is oriented toward general technical support, and also malware removal and security. So as Queen said, it would just "cluster" the forum more and make it way more confusing than it is already. I know a few forums that have this kind of section structure in place, and they aren't fully hardware-oriented as well, and I can tell you that all these sections are pretty much dead.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

Aura made some excellent points. I am not familiar with other forums so I will rely on what others say about them.

Yes, it would (in my opinion) cause unneeded clutter and more work for staff, who already have a lot on our plates.

#8 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

my opinion isn't that important, since i'm new here but i just agree with Queen and Aura.

#9 SWOS

SWOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

I didn't know it was a forum mostly oriented toward general technical support, and also malware removal and security, I just seen it, seen it had a decent number of members and thought it could do with a little help in respect of what I am on about, but as its oriented differently then my suggestion would be a waste of time, I just think that most people probably come on here like me and then find themselves not being able to find the sections I suggested in the 1st post of this thread, I never actually noticed anything that says its more oriented toward general technical support, and also malware removal and security, maybe I missed that part when signing up, I dont know, however, doesn't matter, it was just a suggestion :) 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

If you take a look around the website, you'll see that BleepingComputer is oriented towards security and malware removal mostly :) Check the usergroups, malware removal guides, malware removal sections (there's 2 of them), a whole part of the forum is dedicated to security, most of the news are security related as well, etc. And BleepingComputer is a forum member of the UNITE alliance as well :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

Bleeping Computer® is a technical support site and a self-education tool for the novice user to learn basic concepts about Computer Technology. Our focus is to allow the novice computer user to be able to have a place that they can come and discuss computer/technology problems with their peers and at the same time have a rich resource in which to learn the "basics" about computers and technology.

We have found, with our extensive experience in helping users, whether they be family, friends, coworkers, or clients, that most technical support problems lie not with the computer, but with the fact that the user does not know the "basic concepts" that underlie all issues of computing. These concepts include hardware, files and folders, operating systems, Internet, and applications. Once a user learns the basic concepts of these categories they will be able to express what problems they are having in a more understandable manner, making it easier to be helped by a more experienced user...

About BleepingComputer
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Have you visited Tom's Hardware? It seems more geared to what you're looking for.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

Have you visited Tom's Hardware? It seems more geared to what you're looking for.

Forums like Tom's Hardware and Overclock.net are the kind of forums where individual section for each hardware components works well because they are oriented towards that.

Overclock.net: http://www.overclock.net/f/

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users