Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG and spybot using half my RAM memory on brand new cpu. What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beatlesfan317

beatlesfan317

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

I got a brand new cpu, just 2 days ago. It's not superfast or powerful, it is an I5 3.2GHZ with 8GB RAM. But all I use my cpu for is reading news on the web, watching youtube and writing papers. No gaming etc. When i got my new cpu 2 days ago I did download and install AVG antivirus and spybot search and destroy. I'm on windows 10 and with these 2 programs running in the background for protection, I'm using about 50% of my CPU Mempory. Is this bad? Should I make a change or remove spybot? I am not a techie or cpu expert but would like advice. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

I wouldn't worry too much if you're not experiencing performance problems with the programs you're using like web browsers, word processors, games, etc.

Many times programs such as anti-virus and anti-malware will take advantage of "the extra room they have available" when nothing else is running.  I've got 8GB in my machine and am generally using around 70% when I've got a couple of web browsers and other programs running in addition to all the background stuff.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

This could be all kinds of conflicts /issues,i would try reinstalling Avg,see if that helps.Spybot is not that well thought of these days,i would uninstall it.

Just came in on the end of Britechguys reply...As said you could just leave it,see if it evens out,ive got 6GB on this system,av,antizeroday exploit and a cryptostopper and its not using that much...seems a bit high for background processes..try reinstalling,if no better,maybe switch to Bitdefender,sometimes helps.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 13 December 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#4 beatlesfan317

beatlesfan317
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

OK thank your both for your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users