I've got an end user using Outlook 2007 SP 2 to connect to Exchange 2007 via https in cache mode. I have it set to download headers then content.
He never removes anything from the inbox, but we do auto archive it to his computer ever 6 months.
Everything appeared to be working up until a week ago when his inbox began to state that it was updating folders. It does this constantly and he calls tech support whenever he sees the issue.
We have created a new profile on a new machine and the problem seems to follow him there.
We figured it may be due to 1.2 GB of email, but can't seem to get AutoARchive to actually clean out messages from the inbox.