Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot into OS obtained by cloning from older machine.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 stevkaprel

stevkaprel

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

For a number of years, I used a Dell Precision 340 desktop (circa 2002) with Win 7.  Recently, I obtained a HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF (circa 2010) to replace it. The HP came with a fresh install of Win. 7 but in order to avoid going through the arduous task of cusomizing the HP  I cloned a copy of the system partition on the Dell using a spare hard drive, a IDE/Sata to USB adapter and Easus TOD Back Up Disc.  After copying the files from the spare drive to the system partition on the HP I booted the HP.  It would not boot beyond the "Starting Windows" page when it would go back to the HP Logo page and repeat the same pattern over and over again.  I could not boot into the OS.  I repeated the procedure, using Clonezilla instead of Easus.  The result was no different.  I am getting by on the HP with a fresh install of Win. 7 from a setup CD but I want to understand what I am doing wrong so I can accomplish my original goal.

The system on the Dell was configured as dual booting with Win. XP on its own partition.  Is that relevant??

It finally dawns on me, before posting this, that the old Dell was 32 bit and the new HP is 64 bit.  Is that the problem?  Is there a work-around?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

Cloning from one OEM to another OEM is problematic as your Windows will not activate on the new computer as hardware is different unless both computers had a retail version of Windows. You are also dealing with different drivers and that alone will cause issues  I am not sure if Easeus Todo does it but some imaging software will allow you to image to different hardware but you still need to provide the appropriate system drivers for the new computer. How much RAM is on the HP as 32 bit will only access 4GB. 

I think you would be better off keeping the clean install on the HP, then setting it up as you like. Finally do a complete disk image.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, the OEM is specific to that machine it will never activate and possibly deactivate then you're really screwed. MSFT see's that if you replace the motherboard then that's a new system. Agreeing with John, Retail Windows you can install over and over to one machine only. The caveat to that is finding a Retail copy to buy. If they still exist.

Edited by technonymous, 13 December 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#4 stevkaprel

stevkaprel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

I'm confused.  Not sure what you mean by "OEM."  The Win 7 installation disc I am using was supplied with another computer I bought refurbished.  The label on it says "for use on refurbished PCs."  I used to successfully  freshly install Win 7 on the old Dell machine and also on new HP.  It has been used successfully on three different machines.  

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

Cloning installations between machines can only be expected to work successfully if the machines are substantially the same, i.e. run the same hardware. Because Windows is then set up for that hardware, Windows can start, the product key can be changed to the correct one for the license on the second system, and if required re-activated.

The alternative is to use sysprep to produce a generic installation but that defeats the purpose of having a pre-customised installation. A fresh installation from install media is overall the best solution IMO, despite the extra work involved in setting it up.

Edit: "OEM" stands for Original Equipment Manufacture(r ) and describes the license applying to the OS pre-installed by system builders, in contrast to a Full License boxed standalone Windows. OEM licenses do not transfer between machines, they are only valid for the system they are originally installed onto. Full license products can be deleted from one system and re-installed and activated on a different system.

Edited by Platypus, 14 December 2015 - 08:26 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

If you are trying to copy the operating system across from one system to another it will most likely not work due to the motherboard/CPU interact with Windows just a tad differently.  Will just be easier to reinstall to be honest.

If the product key says it's not activating after it has previously worked on 3 machines, this is due to the fact Microsoft limits the number of activations.  Give them a call and say you got a new computer and have uninstalled windows off the previous machines and they'll reenable it for you.

An OEM installation is an installing specific to a computer, which are generally much cheaper and can only be bought when buying a new motherboard.  If you bought an OEM operating system, that means you will not be able to activate it on the new computer and will have to buy a new version of Windows.

#7 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

Ok let's put it in simple terms. When you install Windows it installs drivers that are specific to the hardware in the system at the time (chipset, LAN, sound, integrated video etc). You can clone it for use on the exact same hardware (for system builders who sell thousands of the same configuration) but it won't work on a system with completely different hardware.

You will need to do a fresh install to have a proper running system.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#8 stevkaprel

stevkaprel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:41 AM

I'm sincerely grateful for all the assistance.  But there's one thing I can't get my mind around.  My Win 7 Installation Disc was supplied to me together with a Dell Optiplex gx620 Tower, 32 bit, which was made in or about 2005 and had a 2.80 Ghz CPU.  I used the very same installation disk to install the OS on a HP Compaq 6000 SFF, 64 bit, which was made in or about 2010 and has a 3.06 Ghz CPU. The makers of the two machines are obviously different and the hardware in the two machines is obviously different.  However, following the installation the HP works just fine.  In fact, I am using it as this is being written.  All that being the case, I can not understand how it can be said an OS installation supplied with one maker's machine and hardware cannot be successfully used on another maker's machine and hardware.

But then, I can't get my mind around relativity, either (old age can do that to you).

#9 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

Ok putting aside the legality of the situation (that Windows license is only for the hardware you purchased with it, not for any other computer you put it on) you can do a clean install of the operating system on any computer you want.  If you are saying the disc you have is an OEM version of Windows 7 then yes you can install that on any computer (just not legally, you will have to read the EUA) but if you have restore discs instead of the full version of Windows then it shouldn't let you install it on any other computer as, from my experience, it checks the hardware before installing to verify it is the correct PC the license was purchased for.  Even if it could get by this check the restore disc would then be a image of an in place Windows install the manufacturer performed on your PC at the factory and would have all that hardware's drivers installed (like for your motherboard, sound, video, wireless etc) which would be throwing up errors on a different PC since it doesn't contain that hardware.

A restore disc with not work on any other hardware than what it was created for.  Doing a fresh install of Windows 7 from either an OEM or Retail copy will work but your license would not be valid if you used an OEM disc from one manufacturer on a separate machine from what it was originally licensed on.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Dupe topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599344/cant-boot-into-win-7-after-installing-cloned-copy-of-os-from-old-computer/, sums it up, IMO.

This topic is closed to avoid more confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users