Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phantom network connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Timeking

Timeking

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

My motherboard died and I replaced it with GA-970A-UD3P which had the same chip (970) as the dead board.  I was then able to get Win7-64 to boot, and installed all the drivers for the new board from Gigabyte download.  I have no problem connecting to the Internet, either to http or https sites.  However, I cannot make a secure SSL connection to Usenetrocket using NewsFileGrabber, which I was able to do without problem for years prior.  I have contacted Usenetrocket and did all the things they suggested, and they say nothing wrong at their end, however still cannot make SSL connection (immediate "Connection closed" error).  But I can connect if I disable SSL.  Clearing SSL from Device Manager/Netword Settings does not solve problem.  So .... rooting around, I noticed that my network connection is named "Network 2".  When I try to rename this from Control Panel/ChangeAdapterSettings to simply "Network" I get an error saying no-can-do because I already have a network connection by that name.  ???  Only one network connection is visible.  If I go into InternetOptions/ConnectionTab there are no connections present.  However I can sail around the Internet just fine.

So before I delete the adapter from Device Manager and reboot, and perhaps get myself into a real mess, I'm making this post to see what others might suggest.  Why do I have a phantom "Network" and how do I kill it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

I find 1 schannel.dll in system32, one in syswow64, and 99 in winsxs.  How many of these should I have?  Maybe this is my problem.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

Did you run the sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown command from the Command Prompt prior to removing the old motherboard and installing the new one?  If you generalize the hdd these identifiers are cleared and you can then install the hdd with the new motherboard.  If you don't there is a good chance that Windows will recognize the new identifiers and either immediately have problems or will gradually get so buggy that the operating system will need to be reinstalled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

Damn!!  Never heard about  sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown in any of my searching about prior to doing the switch, like for couple weeks of searching.  So NOW, since I didn't, what can I do to resolve?  I am getting some weird behavior, things that used be quick, like WinRAR/extract_to command hangs for quite a while, but then executes normally.  All of the drivers from the old board are the same on the new board except USB3 and Audio, and I made sure to delete the old drivers from both, and installed the new from Gigabyte download. 

Am I screwed?

#5 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

What about backing up, running the sysprep thing, and reboot?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

That's akin to closing the barn door after all the horses have run out.  I suspect that the damage is done and would require a fresh installation to resolve this.

We can try generalizing the drive, then install the chipset drivers for the new motherboard and see what happens.  

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

You may wish to try running sfc /scannow.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.  Do not use a host website to post this.  I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:55 PM

I have printed above and will try.  However, what about this procedure as a way to get where I should have gone in first place:

1.  Make an Acronis image of my drive as it is now, just in case I want to get back to where I am now.

2.  Wipe the drive and install an Acronis image from before when the drive was on the old motherboard (which is sold)

3.  Press F8 and boot to DOS prompt, and issue sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

4.  Reboot into Windows and install the new drivers for the new MB

Do you think this would work? 

PS:  I did the SFC /scannow and it found no errors.

PSS:  Thank you much for your help with this !!!!!!!!!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

Give it a try.  I don't know what condition the operating system was in when you used Acronis to clone the drive.

#9 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Success.  Don't know why it worked this way, but it did.  Using a HDD I had laying about, I put the current image on it, and tried sysprep.  No worky.  So I put the image on it from when it was on the old MB, and tried sysprep, got same "Fault/Failure".  No worky.  I tried booting to DOS prompt, no worky.  I tried a whole bunch of other stuff, so OK, I'm out of options, and perhaps because of all the beer I was guzzling I tried a silly experiment:

I hooked up the HDD that I have been using, the HDD that was in the old MB, and moved to the new MB without running sysprep, i.e., my main working HDD.  I then took the spare HDD with the old pre-new-MB image still on it, and hooked it up to my SATA-to-USB adapter.  I booted fully into Windows, then inserted the USB.  My spare HDD showed up as USB drive F:.  From elevated DOS prompt I changed root to F:, then navigated my way to the sysprep folder, where I gave it the /generalize /oobe command.  I forgot to enter /shutdown.  It ran for about 15 minutes, showing nothing on the screen, then shutdown itself.  I removed the USB'd HDD, and rebooted.  The system then did the whole Out-of-box-experience (OOBE), and the phantom network issue is gone.  My windows is Activated with the Genuine graphic.

I guess the lesson is that if you screw with stuff long enough you can sometimes beat the odds.

PS:  Only the 2014 version of the free WD Acronis boot CD actually works.  Steer clear of other versions, in particular 2015 which doesn't work.  I'd post an ISO somewhere but don't know how.  Its freeware so not a copyright issue.

Edited by Timeking, 16 December 2015 - 02:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users