Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does My Laptop Have Bluetooth.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mattytun

mattytun

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi ive got windows7 Dell Laptop XPS 15 L502X

how do i find out if its got built in bluetooth because i was thinking of buying some wirless speakers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

Open Device Manager from the Control Panel and see if any Bluetooth adapter is listed.  It will be there if the machine has built-in Bluetooth.

If it doesn't, USB Bluetooth dongles can be acquired for very little cash outlay.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hi thanks for your help i decided to ask my brother and he said he had a bluetooth dongle so i put it into the USB and its looking ok now

1_zps56401aiq.jpg

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

This laptop uses wifi.  Wifi is faster than Bluetooth.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

This laptop uses wifi.  Wifi is faster than Bluetooth.

Hi dc3 so if i take the dongle out will i be able to play music on my wirless speakers

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,278 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

dc3,

I have yet to see WiFi speakers.   Bluetooth is pretty much the de facto method of choice for connecting things like wireless microphones, headsets, and speakers.

If he's got Bluetooth wireless speakers, and it sounds like he does, then he's got to have Bluetooth to pair them to the computer and to play music through them.  (Which I'm sure you realize, this response is for the OP).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#7 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

dc3,

I have yet to see WiFi speakers.   Bluetooth is pretty much the de facto method of choice for connecting things like wireless microphones, headsets, and speakers.

If he's got Bluetooth wireless speakers, and it sounds like he does, then he's got to have Bluetooth to pair them to the computer and to play music through them.  (Which I'm sure you realize, this response is for the OP).

Hi thanks i asked my nextdoor if i could try her bluetooth speakers and it works with the dongle ...Im happy now i need to go buy some speakers.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

The Manual does indicate that this laptop has WLAN Bluetooth.  It pays to go to the source rather than believing everything found on the Internet.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,278 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

The Manual does indicate that this laptop has WLAN Bluetooth.  It pays to go to the source rather than believing everything found on the Internet.

But his device manager screenshot clearly indicates it does not.  Dell's own website specs for the XPS 15 L502X show Bluetooth 3.0 as an option.

Given the way things can be optioned or de-optioned that's the reason I always tell people to look at what's shown in their device manager and not in tech specs or sales brochures.  He'd have two Bluetooth devices, one not USB, if built-in Bluetooth were present.

Edited by britechguy, 13 December 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

dc3,

I have yet to see WiFi speakers.   

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/12/tried-tested-wi-fi-speakers

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,278 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

dc3,

I have yet to see WiFi speakers.   

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/12/tried-tested-wi-fi-speakers

I wasn't claiming they didn't exist, but I do have yet to see them in person or on store shelves.   Bluetooth devices by far dominate this market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users