Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons not responding to mouse, not opening.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ajones2703

ajones2703

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hi All

I've never experienced this before. 2 days ago I started noticing Chrome was not right. Every time I tried to switch between the tabs, the tab I clicked on to open would disappear. I thought it was a Chrome issue so reinstalled Chrome, same problem. I then noticed it on Firefox as well. I also then noticed icons on my desktop would not open and I couldn't access the start menu. 

However when I press control/alt/delete and click Start Task Manager it resolves itself for a few minutes but then the problem is back. I don't do anything on start task manager, all i do is click into it.

A similar issue I'm also having is I can't get the "x" to work on a window to close the window and the start menu not working. 

I've just tried booting in safe mode and there are still issues with windows not closing when I click on "x"

I've not made any changes to my laptop or added new software for a good few weeks.

So, today I decided to use the "instant reset" button on my Lenovo laptop to take it back to original factory settings. I backed up all my data. To my horror even when I put the laptop back to original settings the problem persists! 

I must admit I did use a Windows 7 tweaking tool, but this was months back. Since being on this forum I've learned this is a not a good idea if you don't know what you're doing. However, 2 months approx have passed since I "tweaked" with no issues. 

This is the tweeking software I used http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html 

I'm even having the same issue when I boot in safe mode. So considering there are even issues in safe mode and restoring the laptop to factory settings hasn't helped am I screwed here?

There is nothing wrong my mouse, have tested it on a different laptop

EDIT: I also noticed I can't drag documents on my desk top to new folders on my desktop

Edited by ajones2703, 13 December 2015 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

Is your mouse pad behaving in precisely the same way as the external mouse?   That would be the first thing I'd check.

Restoring to factory settings should have taken the machine back to "out of the box" status as far as Windows goes, down to making you re-create accounts, etc., and wiping out any changes you ever made.

This is a tough one.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Thanks Brian. I was about to come back and post an update here. Yes, the mouse pad was behaving in the same way. However, I took out my mouse, shut the laptop down and used a mouse I borrowed earlier today. Low and behold no more issues. I did briefly try my mouse on another laptop and it seemed to work, but me saying "nothing wrong with my mouse" earlier was a bit premature I think.

It's just strange how the mouse AND the mouse pad both had the same issue? Almost like my mouse was corrupt and messed up the system as long as it was plugged in? If I take out the offending mouse and restart laptop, the mouse pad is fine.

#4 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:59 AM

This is also quite baffling (taken from my original post)

However when I press control/alt/delete and click Start Task Manager it resolves itself for a few minutes but then the problem is back. I don't do anything on start task manager, all i do is click into it.

But all seems well now

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Does Windows 7 have a Fast boot feature?   I honestly cannot remember and if it does I'm sure I would have disabled it.

If it does, I strongly suggest you disable it.  I've seen occasions where corruption in the mini-hibernation file used for Fast boot caused some really weird issues.  You can also force a full shutdown from the command prompt if you wish to keep Fast boot but want to have an occasional complete shutdown, including dumping the fast boot mini-hibernation file.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thanks Brian. I'm not sure either about the fast boot. I'm also not familiar with a full shut down. Will read up on it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users