Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For those that wish to stay with 7

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

I am posting what I feel will be helpful for the folks that do not wish to update their machines to Win 10, also a place for others to help with additional information that others wish to provide!

I will bump the post periodically to keep those in need informed.

Please I ask for the courtesy of no debates lets keep it info and help only!

The post below has very inclusive info, I give praise to its author for his time and trouble.  Read the entire article it addresses both 7 & 8 for some there might be some confusion.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/updates-to-hide-to-prevent-windows-10-upgrade-disable-telemetry.780476/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:15 AM

Here are links to the authors site for GWX control Panel installation guide and the down load page has high praise.  Read the first link and if you wish then down load the program from the second link.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

OldPhil,

Thank you for providing the links to some very interesting reading. For the computer-not-so-savvy users these articles are most helpful, some of which I have already done.

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

Here are links to the authors site for GWX control Panel installation guide and the down load page has high praise.  Read the first link and if you wish then down load the program from the second link.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Hola OldPhil - just want to drop off my 2 cents.

I've been running this GWX Control Panel on two Windows 7 Home Premium machines (laptop & a desktop) since well before Thanksgiving and have not been bothered one bit since then.

I actually just 'upgraded' to the latest version this morning (12-16-15) and everything is humming long swimmingly.   Not a single nag, pop-up, etc. :guitar:

I know there has been much hand-wringing and complaining, but this really is a quick & fast solution, esp. for those that are not tech-savvy.

I've given this guy quite a bit of love on Twitter and he's been getting quite a bit of love from the Tech press as well.

Thought you should know.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

Winterland thanks for your input.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

To add some information to this thread which might be helpful I include below my list of updates for windows 8/8.1 which I think a user should avoid if they want to prevent GWX. There is a chance a few of these might be "false positives" (updates which I think might be GWX related but in reality are not) (if anyone recognises false psotives amongst them feel free to correct me) but having avoided them all myself I can say that not having them hasn't done me any harm and I have so far not had any GWX related things occuring on my systems. Also amongst this list are a number of telemetry related updates which some users would prefer not to have.

They are in no particular order, just the order in which they were written on my paper pad beside my desk...
KB3112336 (update to windows update client)
KB3021417 (on here because of a complete lack of description, nothing more known about this one)
KB3022345 (telemetry)
KB3035583 (the main GWX related update)
KB3044374 (very similar to KB3035583)
KB3050265 and KB3050267(update to windows update client)
KB3068708 (telemetry)
KB3065987 and KB3065988(update to windows update client)
KB3075249 (telemetry)
KB3080149 (telemetry)
KB2976978 (initial checking of system compatibility for upgrade, I think this update just runs a check and does nothing more)
KB3083325 (update to windows update client)
KB3083711 (update to windows update client)
KB3013816 (I think, but might have misread the description, that this forces use of an ms account instead of a local account and sets updates to full auto)
KB3046480 (reason for being on this list not remembered)
KB3058168 (reason for being on this list not remembered)
KB3075853 (update to windows update client)

The link to notebookreview.com seems to give the equivalents of these for windows 7

Edited by rp88, 16 December 2015 - 05:21 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 beep54

beep54

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

I have two machines that run Windows (well, also an XP machine that's not plugged in at present). My XPS13 I allowed to update to 10 just to experience it. As I don't use that one very often (mostly because I have scads of data distributed on far, far too many ext. drives), I still am not exactly familiar with 10. My main machine is a Dell Dimension that is more or less ancient altho it does run 7 Ultimate just fine. Now, I was pretty excited about 10. 'Reserved' my copy and everything. I was ready! Erm, but the tower wasn't. Turns out the Nvidia graphics card is not compatible. No Windows 10 for my tower. Sob </snark> Ok, fine. But just simply because 10 can't run on my machine does NOT mean that MS won't still try to force it on me! This got very old in a hurry. In trying to stop MS I tried a number of early tricks (really, really should have kept a log) that eventually just completely hosed the entire update thing. It is now stuck in an endless "This computer must be restarted to ... " loop. The only solution has been to go into Services and completely disable the updating process. This has actually had some nice fringe benefits! No telemetry updates :) This is not an optimal solution, but it is pretty much all I have left. I CAN still update, should I want some of them, like Defender updates. I have to download a standalone, turn Windows Updates back on, deal with the bleeping 'update to 10' messages, install the update(s) and turn off the update service again. Bit of a mess, but it works.

I really needed to get that off my chest.

Edited by beep54, 24 December 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

Now at least you have the option of manually shooting the updates down or to use the GWX program.  Happy computing!

Phil

#9 beep54

beep54

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

Erm, actually, I am quite pleased with the result. But my solution is not anything to suggest to most.

#10 beep54

beep54

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Oh, and I am seriously looking into going all Linux at this point. Windows has lost me.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

beep54, do you have any system images or recovery media, if so would you be prepared to use them? (Using them would wipe out any system settng changes since the images were made, it would also cause the loss of all programs installed since the date the images were made, recovery media would generally reset everything to factory fresh condition, you could easily backup all your FILES beforehand so no documents would be lost as long as you backed them up, but you would have o reinstall programs depending on the age of the images/recovery media, but PROGRAMS would need reinstalling after doing this.). Doing this would let you go back to a time before your computer was hit with the first of the gwx related updates, at which point you could start afresh and this time avoid gwx related updates entirely by ensuring that when you update after going bck you avoid anything known to be gwx related or suspected tp be gwx related (there are lists here which can help you recognise which updates are good, bad or hard to tell). This would definitely work, but it's a question of whether you have any simple means of going back to such an old state (the images would need to date from before april this year (KB3035583 came out in early april)) and whether the bother of your current difficulties with your system (ideally you should be able to check for and install updates of your choice at a time which suits you simply from "windows update" in control panel without needing to go through downloading a standalone and such) is greater than the bother you would face hevign to reinstall programs and redo system settings after a reimageing or return to factory media. If you do decide to go back like this make sure to turn windows update to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" after going back to the image/recovery media and before so much as plugging in an ethernet cord or connecting to wi-fi, then you'll be able to install just the updates you need (the security ones, named "Security Update for...") and not have to worry about the rst arriving (as you'll untick all the ones you don't need).

Edited by rp88, 25 December 2015 - 04:43 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/02/02/windows-10-now-recommended-by-microsoft-and-can-start-installing-automatically/

For people who want to avoid a Windows 10 download of about 4GB then make sure you uncheck " Give me recommended updates the same way I receive Important updates" in Update Settings.

Windows-Update-setting-that-controls-rec

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Post #12, unticking "give me recommended updates the same way i receive important updates" is generally a good idea. Not only does it make unwelcome upgrade related things less likely it also makes it easier for users with the (also a wise thing to do) "check automatically but ask me whether i want to download", as they only have to sort in detail through the "important list" and they can generally discount the "optional" list entirely, ignroing or hiding everything in it. Not everything in the "important" list is always needed by users(hence the value of not letting download/install be automatic), but users can be sure that things they NEED will only ever be within the "important" list and that they'll never NEED any of the things on the "optional" list(although sometimes they might find things in it to be helpful if they have time to read the descriptions for the things).

Also to add to this point, are the rumours that I've heard which say "ms will soon start distributing win 10 upgrades on the "important" list" true or not? If true then the advice here won't be enough any longer and users will have no choice but to use "check automatically but ask me whether i want to download" (and ofcourse make sure to check weekly to ensure they don't miss any genuinely important (that is to say security fixes) updates.). If not true then the advice is still helpful, although KB3044374 is classed as an "important" update so this advice might not be enough even if ms does not at some point start distributing win10 stuff on the "important" list.

Edited by rp88, 02 February 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

I don't know about Windows 10 being offered through important updates but as you know one needs to watch important updates as some are a precursor allowing Windows 10 to download to the computer. I always check what an important update does before I install it. Remember these "important" updates? No thanks.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970228

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3006137

#15 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

In checking for updates today, I noticed these two which are classified as optional:  KB3135445 and KB2952664.

KB2952664 was previously released as "recommended", now it is classified as optional. Go figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users