Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Backup + 2nd Partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Draumalfr

Draumalfr

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

Recently, I took the offer of the free Windows 10 download to replace Windows 7 that was installed on my computer. Before, I had Windows 7 installed and in two partitions. This was very useful as I always had the option of system restore for any issues (And believe me, for almost every issue that I have had with my computer, and the countless postings on forums, nearly every issued had to be resolved with a system restore. It's a lot of hassle, but it works: you can always try to find out if there is another way).

Now, I don't know if I have a second partition and if I do, is it Windows 10? I may have nothing or Windows 7 on the hidden partition.

I have an option in settings where I can do a reset. This sounds ok, but if it requires an internet connection, it could be totally useless. My last problem was a corrupted network connection driver, so I would be lost in that situation, and I'm sure you've guessed how I solved that one: system restore!

The backup option in settings advises that I can use my Windows 7 backup disc: ok, but then I'll have Windows 7 back on my computer, and will I have the option of reinstalling Windows 10 for free, or will I have to pay for it?

My recovery disc burner software offers to copy my hidden disc. This would be fine if; 1) There is one. 2. It's Windows 10.

Edited by hamluis, 13 December 2015 - 07:31 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to Backup, Imaging, Disk Management Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

You can check your partitions by using the Disk Management tool

To use it, go to the Run dialog and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

This will show you the different partitions on the system.

On most systems there are at least 5 partitions (mine has 6), even though there may only be one or two that are visible in Windows Explorer.

Fortunately, the partitions in diskmgmt.msc will show the drive letters - so you can match them to the one's that you can see in Windows Explorer.

As for what each one does, please post a screenshot of the the Disk Management window for more precise descriptions.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Draumalfr

Draumalfr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

I couldn't post the sceenshot. The format wasn't accepted. But here is what it was:

Volume           Layout       Type        File-system       Status                                  Capacity          Free Sp..           % Free

Simple        Basic                                Primary Partition                  21.49 GB         21.49 GB            100%

Simple        Basic                                Recovery Partition               450 MB            450 MB               100%

Data (D:)       Simple        Basic       NTFS                Logical Drive                        202.08 GB       201.68 GB          100%

OS (C:)         Simple        Basic       NTFS                System, Boot, Page File...     74.08 GB        17.47                   24%

Looking at this, I don't have recovery partition as I only have one partition that has data in it. Am I correct?

Edited by Draumalfr, 15 December 2015 - 06:52 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

It appears that you don't have a recovery partition.

You have 2 partitions with data - the C: and D:

The D: drive only has 0.4 gB used - so there not much there.

The C: drive has about 58 gB used - so there will be a lot of data on there.

The way around not having a recovery partition is to redownload and create the W10 media creation tool (for W10).

But first, check this:

open up an elevated (run as administrator) Command Prompt.

Type in "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter

If a window opens that says you're "permanently activated", then you can return to W10 whenever you desire (there are other ways to do this, but this is the simplest).

Then, if you wish to revert to W7, you'll need a product key and the recovery media to install it.
This will wipe out everything on the system - so backup your data first!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Draumalfr

Draumalfr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

Thanks. I got the "This machine is permanently activated" message from slmgr /xpr, but I don't know what that means for me and a recovery point. So, I don't have a recovery partition. So what do I do if I need to do a recovery, and how can I create a recovery disc, or do I need one?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

Sorry for not being more specific.  The permanent activation means that your system was activated on Microsoft's activation servers.

As such, you'll be able to activate W10 from a clean install without using a product key (as long as the hardware hasn't changed).

To do this, skip the first request to enter a product key, then ask it to "do it later" on the second request for a product key.

As long as you're connected to the internet, you'll be able to check the activation status when it's done and you'll see that it's been activated automagically.

You can make the W10 installation media from this page:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users