Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus suspected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DesperateChris

DesperateChris

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:15 AM

hi there, hope someone can help me.

I upgraded to windows 10 and went back to 7 but all seemed to be working fine until  i tried to do the following. I tried to reinstall my genuine copy of office 2010, but always get setup has encountered errors and must close.

System restore also fails with an encountered errors message. It will not allow deletion of restore points or disabling of protection to erase restore points. when i try to access system properties by right clicking my computer, explorer immediately closes and restarts. I ran eset online in safe mode and it found 12 suspicious files and deleted them but this made no difference.

I need to find out if the return to windows 7 is the problem or if I have picked up a virus as the laptop has seemed OK.

Can anybody help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi DesperateChris :)

My name is Aura and I'll be assisting you with your issue. Follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List IP Configuration;
    • List Winsock Entries;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      OQmAcqS.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 DesperateChris

DesperateChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hi Aura

Thank you for replying to my enquiry and for your offer of help. However, I am now sure that my problem is due to upgrading to windows 10 and then trying to return to windows 7. Windows 10, for the record, in my opinion,  is certainly not better than 7 and more complicated to use. I think my best option is either to reinstall windows 7 or re-upgrade to windows 10 and put up with it.

I would advise anyone not to bother with windows 10 as I was perfectly happy with 7 and windows 10  was certainly not worth the trouble it has caused me!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

Well let me know what you want to do, and if you need assistance in the process, I'll help you :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users