Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why I registered

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vilhavekktesla

vilhavekktesla

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:26 AM

Hi all.

This is why I registered.

I had one virus Tesla... or multiple... I searched for info on Internet and found none. I searched for aliases and found a few. I then dug to get info and found little. AV companies. AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, MSE ... I dug on virustotal and sent a sample and 1 of 55 companies said virus. False alarm or new treat?

Well, not a big deal. What was the big deal was this. Thousands of encrypted files and a bitmap treat. And almost no clue. Next issue MSE found treat 2 days late

So I did not care removing the virus... I wanted my data back. Then I remembered an article from the news in 2013 Ransom viruses... And I remembered why I do not encrypt files my self on my hard drive. What If I loose the key or the encryption part is ruined... Oh no, all is lost. Skip encrypting, my data is not secret; it is just mine (private). Let me keep it safe by multiple copies. But what if one is infected and I do not see it... Let's double the backups and rotate them. Again, what if all are ruined, not due to virus by some malfunctioning hard ware... well let’s keep multiple copies on multiple systems... Well, this helps, but how on earth not loosing control... well, that was the only I could not fix, it escalated. So back to square one... Try to protect the most important with enough means. Accept loosing things I have already forgotten about anyway and get more at ease.

So, back to the issue. How about my encrypted files... Well it happened what I did not want to happen. I lost the key... or someone in the world has the key, but I expect they don’t have the data. Well, I have a not too current backup of the data, and they may keep the key, although I truly believe I could have gotten back the data if I sponsored them with 1000 USD (Well, I guess I can find better ways to spend that amount maybe buy a windmill:) This post is my thought popping up these days because I was introduced to ransom. My data was not important enough to pay up. It was however important enough to read up on the subject, and spend at least enough hours so that I could demand them paying me 1000 USD. And I have a few new hard drives which can break any day. Restore previously backup fixed it this time... but when is the next time, and how to prevent it from happening again...

Well, I think I have to be even more careful and monitor computer behavioral more closely, or maybe change OS. Frankly I do not know at the moment. This was really an eyopener, so I start spread the word to my friends and family... If you have not backed up in a while... now is the time, and I got the answer... What is backup? Well that’s life. You certainly know what backup is after you have had the incident:) What I want is an antivirus from all the 55 companies that can run together, because it appears none of them are good enough on their own. And the monitor should happen on 2% not 50% stalling my computer. Then I want a flag system like Emails for, flag as important, spam, junk etc. I want Windows to be able to do this... If something strange happens that has not happened before it should first decline, then inform, then ask what to do, and then if I as a user accept, allow. And most of all, no false positives and annoying non understandable questions. A reply to this... Shut down your computer, disconnect internet and get out in the nature. I think that is the answer, because I do not think my request is fulfilled in the foreseeable future. End post

Edited by vilhavekktesla, 13 December 2015 - 04:40 AM.

The signature points to post one in each topic. Post one is very important to read.

Now Teslacrypt may be decrypted with Blooddolly's Tesladecoder version 1.0.1b or newer (if needed)

The master key is released so there is no need to pay to get the key.

About 200 550 different ransomwares exist so think safe backups at all time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:38 AM

Even if someone created a new virus today (which millions are created daily) many would not be seen by any of those 55 antivirus companies...

Antivirus is a possible last warning when all of your other precautions have failed, not your first line of defense.

Look at Cryptoprevent, Malwarebytes, user agent switching applications and then if all else fails... Linux.

But a nice spell outside sounds like a good idea. B)

#3 vilhavekktesla

vilhavekktesla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

Even if someone created a new virus today (which millions are created daily) many would not be seen by any of those 55 antivirus companies...

Antivirus is a possible last warning when all of your other precautions have failed, not your first line of defense.

Look at Cryptoprevent, Malwarebytes, user agent switching applications and then if all else fails... Linux.

But a nice spell outside sounds like a good idea. B)

Hehe, exactly as I'm thinking. There is no way to be safe... except being careful, however there are means to be safer, and to handle the situation. Just like seatbelts, thay cannot hinder a collison, but, they might save you from serios injuries  :) Linux is maybe not viable for everyone, as there are many next dor that might get infected the next time and have less resources handling themselves, so it has to be put an effort to stop / handle these threats otherwise it will only escalate, which it will anyway. Thanks for comforting words.

The signature points to post one in each topic. Post one is very important to read.

Now Teslacrypt may be decrypted with Blooddolly's Tesladecoder version 1.0.1b or newer (if needed)

The master key is released so there is no need to pay to get the key.

About 200 550 different ransomwares exist so think safe backups at all time.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...

You may also want to read:

Best regards
The BC Staff

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users