Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wish List for a Linux Distro - For My Christmas Stocking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

Well, it's that time of year when the jolly, bearded fat fellow (yes, I know that describes me, but I am talking about) Santa makes his annual trip, with a sack full of goodies.

I would like to identify what you would LIKE to have in a Linux Distribution, that you don't already have, in the one, or ones that you use.

I will give you an idea of what I myself am looking for in a moment.

But first I will disclose that I have a vested interest, whatever that is worth, in learning ... what users want.

You can read at

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553242/zorbuntu-frankenstein-lives/

about the chance, one in a million, circumstances I experienced 14 months ago, in having Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr MERGE with Zorin OS9 to become a new Distro. Initially I called it Zorbuntu, then renamed it TimNet. You could start at page 1, where the link takes you, or start at page 8 and work back, up to you.

My early New Year's Resolution is to get this bugger into a workable shape, if possible, to "get it out there", as eg No. 340 on Distrowatch. Earning Dollars and cents is not an issue - I would have to get into Server technology or something to make a buck. It's just something I want to do, to help others find the best from their Linux Experience.

My (long-suffering) wife and I live in a Linux household, running multiple Distros - currently 14 on three computers, and more to come.

So I am starting to get a good idea, I think, of what different Distros have to offer, what you can expect to be across the board, what is individual to a Distro, love it or hate it. What you have to learn or re-learn moving from one to the other. RPM-based compared to Debian-based or other. You get the picture.

Two words or phrases that spring to my mind at the moment are:

1. Numlock - I like the OS to remember my choice from last time whether Numlock is on or off. Some do and some don't. This used to apply just to desktops, but now a number of laptops (including this Toshiba Satellite I am writing from) incorporate a keypad. My passwords have both numeric and alpha characters in them, and so it is useful for me to have Numlock on.
  2. Grub Menu at start, and "time is up, boot" - Using multiple Distros as I do, I notice that every time I put a new Distro on, the newbie usurps the position of the Distro that previously lead the leaderboard, and takes Number 1 spot - numero uno. What if I don't want that? What if I wanted it to be, at Number 3, or Number 4? A lot of Distros give you the option of 10 seconds to make up your mind, Sabayon goes for 3 seconds, gotta be quick, but it's now at 2nd spot since I put Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa", Mate, on, yesterday
  3. Installer - Can you walk away for a coffee or a pee, or do you have to sit there in case it prompts you for interactive input? And for how long?

OK I lied that's 4 or more issues, if you count them.

With 2., above - I know I can install and use Grub Customizer, or edit grub config, to make some modifications, to customise, but what if I want this just straight out of the box?

So you have above some of MY wish list - what about yours?

If you try to limit yourself to 2 to 3 items for your Stocking, that would be good, and I will try to collate them, over time.

Specify environments, and Distro versions eg not just Ubuntu, but Ubuntu Mate 14.04LTS or Ubuntu Unity 15.10 Wily Werewolf, DEs (Desktop Environments) eg Mate, KDE, Cinnamon, Enlightenment, Xfce, whatever.

Go for it, and

Enjoy Linux - I do

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW Hope Santa fills your stocking ... stay well, and stay safe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

Now here's one Clem Lefebvre (Linux Mint Project Leader), and other Devs, might take notice of.

Background:

I subscribe to LXF (Linux Format magazine, a UK production) and they have a cover DVD with each issue, containing, amongst other goodies, two to four Linux Distros. Six months ago, as they do occasionally, they featured a remix. This is where they take a Distro that may have been out for a few months, and update it with the latest patches and fixes. In this instance it was Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet. Very handy.

Now I just installed, on 12/12, Linux Mint Mate 17.03 Rosa, which along with its sibling Mate version, had just been released 4th December, 7-8 days earlier.

Take a look at the screenshot below:

rwmTok4.png

88 to upgrade, 95.7MB to install, albeit only 976kB nett overhead in space consumed.

Had a bad connection that day, and so it took me another 35-40 minutes before I could get into using the Distro. Rather silly, I thought.

My Wish:

Would it be so difficult for the Devs, last thing before they release a Distro, to run an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, on the packages contained therein ... and THEN release it? Would save Users a lot of hassle.

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

My early New Year's Resolution is to get this bugger into a workable shape

Cool. Good luck. :)

Can you walk away for a coffee or a pee

Must be an Australian thing? In Canada, coffee is usually partnered with sugary treats, not veggies. I guess that explains why Australians have a longer life expectency than Candadians.

I would like to identify what you would LIKE to have in a Linux Distribution, that you don't already have, in the one, or ones that you use

1. I like Gparted to be pre-installed. One of the things that drives me up the wall is that distros like Ubuntu will pre-install it for use on the live-DVD, but then it get's uninstalled during the installation process, leaving you with Gnome Disk Utility (aka Disks) instead.
2. I hate it when distros (eg: Ubuntu) require an internet connection to install on UEFI machines, because the grub UEFI packages aren't included on the disc. I haven't tried the most recent Ubuntu release so perhaps this has been resolved, but I know that in 14.04 and earlier this is a problem. Without an internet connection you cannot install on UEFI machines (at least not in UEFI mode), and to me, that is a huge deal.
3. I like Gedit to be pre-installed. Yes there are other text-editors available, but Gedit seems the best to me.

EDIT: I've just noticed you said "pee" not "pea", but since the mistake is funny, I've not edited it out.

Edited by hollowface, 13 December 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,927 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

Would it be so difficult for the Devs, last thing before they release a Distro, to run an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, on the packages contained therein ... and THEN release it?

They most likely did before they published the ISO,  Some of the published ISO's can be over 12 months old.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

Thanks hollowface - noted, and agreed.

C'mon Nick, sit on Santa's knee and make a wish.

Rosa's .iso (at least Mate) is date-timestamped Sunday 29 November 2015, about 4am. Only two weeks old.

Keep 'em comin', folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users