Hello everybody at bleeping computers.
I've been experiencing a series of very peculiar problems with my internet.
Once every one to two days, except for the programs I am currently connected to, I would lose connection to everything on the net.
And the set of programs I could connect to/remain connected to vary. When this happens, I lose the ability to
- Connect to my internet browser (firefox) or internet explorer
- Ping any address using the command prompt
- Start another program which uses the internet except for the ones that are already connected
- Lose the ability to access wi-fi with my android device
Here are some examples of this happening
- I am connected to Steam. I can talk with people on steam, browse servers on steam and start steam games such as CS:GO. However, I cannot browse the steam store or anybody’s steam profile, including my own.
When this happens, I lose the ability to connect to any web pages with Firefox or internet explorer. Programs that were already running at the time and connected to the internet such as Skype or the Battle.net client are fine and I can continue talking to my friends.Devices in the household can still find and connect to the wi-fi network but they cannot access the internet. Any programs, browsers or internet pinging do not work.
- I am talking to a friend on Skype and I attempt to access the internet. Except for Skype and other services currently connected, I cannot start new connections. If my Steam was closed at this time, I become unable to connect to Steam. The same symptoms as scenario 1.
I am baffled. I check my router logs and I do not find anything out of the ordinary. Unless i have missed something.
The following is my computer and network setup
- A Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem
- A D-link Dir-300 router.
- Laptop: Gigabyte P27 connected to the router with an Ethernet cable with my wireless adapter switched off to ensure I only connect through the Ethernet cable and not wi-fi.
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Drivers are up to date
- Ethernet cable connected to the router
- A Samsung Galaxy S6 android device with mobile data turned off.
The problems are resolved once I restart my router and computer once or twice but it always happens again. Why is this happening? If i need to post any additional information, please let me know.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you