Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very peculiar problems with my internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vanquisherr

vanquisherr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:32 AM

Hello everybody at bleeping computers.

I've been experiencing a series of very peculiar problems with my internet.

Once every one to two days, except for the programs I am currently connected to, I would lose connection to everything on the net.

And the set of programs I could connect to/remain connected to vary. When this happens, I lose the ability to

• Connect to my internet browser (firefox) or internet explorer
  • Ping any address using the command prompt
  • Start another program which uses the internet except for the ones that are already connected
  • Lose the ability to access wi-fi with my android device

Here are some examples of this happening

1. I am connected to Steam. I can talk with people on steam, browse servers on steam and start steam games such as CS:GO. However, I cannot browse the steam store or anybody’s steam profile, including my own.
    When this happens, I lose the ability to connect to any web pages with Firefox or internet explorer. Programs that were already running at the time and connected to the internet such as Skype or the Battle.net client are fine and I can continue talking to my friends.
    Devices in the household can still find and connect to the wi-fi network but they cannot access the internet. Any programs, browsers or internet pinging do not work.
  2. I am talking to a friend on Skype and I attempt to access the internet. Except for Skype and other services currently connected, I cannot start new connections. If my Steam was closed at this time, I become unable to connect to Steam. The same symptoms as scenario 1.

I am baffled. I check my router logs and I do not find anything out of the ordinary. Unless i have missed something.

The following is my computer and network setup

• A Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem
  • A D-link Dir-300 router.
  • Laptop: Gigabyte P27 connected to the router with an Ethernet cable with my wireless adapter switched off to ensure I only connect through the Ethernet cable and not wi-fi.
    • Windows 7 64-bit
    • Drivers are up to date
    • Ethernet cable connected to the router
  • A Samsung Galaxy S6 android device with mobile data turned off.

The problems are resolved once I restart my router and computer once or twice but it always happens again. Why is this happening? If i need to post any additional information, please let me know.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

What DNS servers are you using?

#3 vanquisherr

vanquisherr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

What DNS servers are you using?

How do i check my DNS? I am visiting various countries in Asia and i'm now staying at Taiwan.

Do i use the DNS checkers online? I tried using google.com.tw as an example but i didn't find any errors.

I used ipconfig /flushdns and i lost connection to the internet until i restarted my router.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

Who is your ISP? What download speeds is your ISP providing you? What speeds are you leasing VS what you're seeing? This is probably due to the modem and router hardware being old and outdated.

#5 vanquisherr

vanquisherr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:56 AM

This is my speed test result

4938242351.png

I am not sure what speed i am leasing. I will find out.

And yes, my modem and router is fairly old. Is there anyway for me to fix this without having to upgrade my hardware?

Edited by vanquisherr, 23 December 2015 - 02:59 AM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:02 PM

Look how far away your testing server is 7500 miles. A 8Mbit down & 1Mbit upload is a pretty low grade speed for cable. Download minitoolbox and post the report. You should take this issue to your ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users