Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK, so, stupid Chrome....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

OK, so, this recently started happening to me again and I scanned my machine throughly so I know it is not a virus or otherwise screwing around with me.

Namely, Google Chrome will NOT finish a download, and then start another. Instead, it gets to the end of a download, and stops, say it is a 4MB file, like 4.3MB in size, It gets to "4.3MB/4.3MB 0 seconds left" and stops right there. I try starting another download and the normal popup asking where to download the file to DOES NOT appear. So I go to close Chrome, a popup warning appears "2 downloads are in progress, do you wish to cancel or continue ?" I hit CONTINUE, and there is NOTHING in the downloads area for Chrome at all

My question is....

Why is it doing this and how do I fix it without downloading unwanted items to fix it with ? Is there a command path I can follow to fix this screwup ? Or is my version of chrome completely borked ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

Possibly some add-on/ extension is causing the problem. Suggest trying a reset of Chrome which won't delete your bookmarks.

If that doesn't work then I suggest doing a complete uninstall and reinstall. That means deleting your Chrome profile, too.

Google Chrome gives you the option to reset your browser settings in one easy click. In some cases, programs that you install can change your Chrome settings without your knowledge. You may see additional extensions and toolbars or a different search engine. Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

Reset your Chrome browser settings

1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
  2. Select Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset.

Edited by buddy215, 12 December 2015 - 08:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

I have often found that weird Chrome issues like this one are most easily resolved by uninstalling, restarting your computer, and reinstalling the latest version of Chrome.

Chrome often "gets peculiar" over long periods where multiple version updates have been made.   You don't lose anything by uninstalling and reinstalling since your user related data like bookmarks, etc., are not stored in Chrome's program directory but in your appdata folders.  Those don't get removed upon uninstall.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

My only problem with that is I tried reinstalling, {no good}, and I tried turning off/restarting my extentions {I only have four not including google translate or tweetdeck for Chrome}; in this case ADBLOCK+, Colordeck for Tweetdeck, Stylish for Chrome, and Tampermonkey; I tried restarting all of them, even had stylish off, no good; my only problem with resetting my settings. Will that also reset my theme ? took me a month to find it

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Do you log in to Chrome?  If so your theme and other extensions are remembered and sync-ed back when you log in to Chrome again (or log in to Chrome elsewhere, too).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Also, cache corruption can cause some really weird issues as well.  You can either use third-party software, such as CCleaner, to do a cache sweep or Chrome to do one.  Do a web search on, "Chrome clear cache."

~ Brian Vogel

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

When you uninstalled did you make sure to uninstall your profile, too? If not, do that.

Otherwise, if you did uninstall your Google profile then I would think it is not a Chrome problem. Either malware or some censoring going on.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

I do have a chrome profile yes, It wont let me make a new one  :killcomp:

But at this momnet I am content with a single profile on my chrome, it helps me keep track of things

When you uninstalled did you make sure to uninstall your profile, too? If not, do that.

Otherwise, if you did uninstall your Google profile then I would think it is not a Chrome problem. Either malware or some censoring going on.

Unfdortunatelky I do not know how to uninstall my google profile

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

Use Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware in Advanced Mode to completely remove all Chrome files from the computer.

#10 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:55 PM

Also, cache corruption can cause some really weird issues as well.  You can either use third-party software, such as CCleaner, to do a cache sweep or Chrome to do one.  Do a web search on, "Chrome clear cache."

Thing is it wont finish a download, period. I found on one site it was windows related due to a update of some kind

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

Thing is it wont finish a download, period. I found on one site it was windows related due to a update of some kind

I understand what you're saying it won't do.   What I'm suggesting are some things you could try to see if you can make it behave again.  Clearing cache doesn't require downloading anything if you follow the steps to Clear Cache.  I tend to select Cache and "from the beginning of time."

~ Brian Vogel

#12 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

I understand what you're saying it won't do.   What I'm suggesting are some things you could try to see if you can make it behave again.  Clearing cache doesn't require downloading anything if you follow the steps to Clear Cache.  I tend to select Cache and "from the beginning of time."

Sadly for me that didn't work, I just had to force a hard restart on this laptop to begin with. For one thing Chrome wouldn't shut down; I couldn't kill the process and task manager wonked up

#13 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Apparently after doing a hard restart and downloading and installing four .NET updates that were listed as CRTICAL even in Belarc Advisor {Icicles I LOVE BELARC!!} Chrome is somehow behaving properly

#14 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

I thought my problem was over, its not. Turns out Chrome just flat out refueses to even start a download or bring up explorer for me to select where to download when I click a file to begin the download.

There MUST be a fix for this

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

Follow buddy215's instruction HERE  

let me know how that goes.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users