Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emails i didn't send

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vjmure

vjmure

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Curious observation; maybe nothing, but not sure....    I have a few emails stating "[SPAM]Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" which appear to be emails that it says I sent, but I did not.     Rejected as SPAM from "Mail Delivery System".

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.....

Vinny

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 December 2015 - 10:45 PM.
moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

Many spam and phishing emails appear to be from an address which isn't the real address they were sent from. I have had phishing emails which appeared to come from my own address. The "From" address can be changed. Presumably, someone has used your email address for this purpose.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

Many spam and phishing emails appear to be from an address which isn't the real address they were sent from. I have had phishing emails which appeared to come from my own address. The "From" address can be changed. Presumably, someone has used your email address for this purpose.

This happens with incredible frequency, particularly if you have an e-mail address that's been floating around out there in cyberspace for years.   I can't count how many phishing e-mails I've received with a From: address of friends that I absolutely know didn't send them.  I've stopped telling people I've received them because they're not the result of account hacking, but simply of e-mail address collection schemes where the From: address is filled in at random from the massive list of addresses these slime have collected.  Sometimes that address is your own, and bounce messages will come back to you if the To: address is no longer valid.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

The "From" address can be changed. Presumably, someone has used your email address for this purpose.

This is called "spoofing". A spammer uses your address to make it appear as if you sent the mail.

If they send one to an email address that no longer exists you get a bounce message.

As for spam, the receiving server has flagged your email address as one that is sending the spam, even though you did not send it.

Those who engage in this tactic generally do not use the spoofed address for long.

With email it is no different from writing a letter, putting it in an envelope, addressing the envelope, putting a stamp on it and using SOMEONE ELSE's address as the return address.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 December 2015 - 12:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users