Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Model SVE 1711 F1EW

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobbbell

bobbbell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

I am running Windows 7 Premium and have recently purchased two blu ray dvd's which won't play on my system. I have tried various sites for a program that I will pay for which would allow me to watch and download to my Vaio and then transfer to my external drive. This laptop does not have a Blu Ray Disc Player as far as I know but it allows me to play other non Blu Ray discs. When I insert the Blu Ray Disc and I enter My Computer and right click on it to open the disc a pop up appears stating Insert a disc into Drive D and then it ejects the disc from the player. Can anyone help me with either of the answers to these questions.

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2015 - 10:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

This laptop does not have a Blu Ray Disc Player as far as I know

This would appear to be the answer to your question !  If you don't have a blu-ray player you cannot play blu-ray discs, it's as simple as that. Physically they are the same shape and size as CDs and DVDs but technically they are very different.

It does appear that some versions of this laptop shipped with a blu-ray player so it should not be impossible for you to source one but it would mean removing your existing CD/DVD player and replacing it with the blu-ray player, this is generally a fairly easy job. You probably have blu-ray drivers included in your system software but if  not you may have a problem sourcing them. Sony have stopped supporting the Vaio range except for the latest models, I believe those up to two years old.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 SWOS

SWOS

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

I am running Windows 7 Premium and have recently purchased two blu ray dvd's which won't play on my system. I have tried various sites for a program that I will pay for which would allow me to watch and download to my Vaio and then transfer to my external drive. This laptop does not have a Blu Ray Disc Player as far as I know but it allows me to play other non Blu Ray discs. When I insert the Blu Ray Disc and I enter My Computer and right click on it to open the disc a pop up appears stating Insert a disc into Drive D and then it ejects the disc from the player. Can anyone help me with either of the answers to these questions.

Hi @bobbbell ,

Did the drives come with any disks for installing drivers ? if not go to the manufacturers website and check if they have driver software, there is a chance that the driver isnt correct, thats hard to say though but its simple just installing it to make sure (that's if that is what the problem is though), with the drives plugged in you can look to see if windows actually detects them too, various ways to check via the My/computer icon or the bios etc, if they are not showing as being there then that to me would signal that the driver isnt installed, they should work though as its just windows, really has nothing to do with the fact its a laptop, windows is windows, saying that though they may not be compatible with the hardware in the laptop, I really doubt that though, but anything is possible, these things are usually made now days to work on anything at all literally.

Also, Just to make sure you have all correct codecs installed and a suitable player for all your disks be it dvd/cd/blu ray and/or downloaded media files etc, download this my friend, its free and I have used it for many many years now, in my opinion it is far superior to windows media player and windows media centre or any other codec/media player packs around and they update it regular too, and its free :)  the built in windows stuff is sometimes rubbish and a lot of the time wont even play certain file type, BUT this does.

Here is a direct link to it, let us know how you get on, should work though, see here --->>>>  http://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

oh P.S, firstly remove any codec packs or anything like that you may have installed, you will find them in your control panel under programs and features, sometimes they can conflict with other codec software and players.

Edited by SWOS, 13 December 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

Contrary to what SWOS is saying, if you do not have a blu-ray player you cannot play blu-ray discs. Blu-ray players are backward compatible with DVDs and CDs just as DVD players are backward compatible with CDs and if you don't have a blu-ray player no amount of drivers or codec packs will change this situation.

What is happening when you put a blu-ray disc into your drive is that the drive and its associated software - the drivers - are not recognising it as a disc, therefore they are seeing an empty drive. So when you right click 'Play' the system is opening the player tray so that you can put a disc in. It is not rejecting the blu-ray disc, it just doesn't see it as a disc.

Sorry, but if you want to  play blu-ray discs, you are going to have to get a blu-ray player. Have you investigated the possibility of an external USB connected one ?

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 December 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#5 SWOS

SWOS

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Oh, yeah,  I see NOW he's meaning he doesnt have a blu ray player drive Chris Cosgrove, sorry about that mate, I read his original post too quickly and thought he said he bought two blu ray drives, but I see now that its just blu ray disk and not drives at all, I gave a reply relating to drives I thought he bought, so I gave the total correct advice but just wrong in the fact I thought he said he bought two new blu ray drives, but as I say I see my mistake now, anyways, maybe my help other peeps that may come across with similar problems but with actual blu ray drives, LOL, me bad  :notme: LOL

Edited by SWOS, 13 December 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#6 bobbbell

bobbbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hello Chris and SWOS, Thank you both for your help. Now maybe I should elaborate on what I would like to do and perhaps you can enlighten me. I am considering buying a portable usb Bluray player / writer which I would intend to use for watching the Blurays I have, and then ripping them using WinXdvd ripper platinum (which I have now found out does not support doing this) and sending them to my Sony External drive (1TB). Now it gets difficult for me to understand. Is it possible to download a Bluray using the portable drive and ripping it and being able to watch it on a non Bluray player.? That's what I would like to do but I doubt that it's possible. If you could guide me to a portable drive with those capabilities I would appreciate it. If, which I think it will be impossible then I'll have to look at replacing the current DVD Drive in my Sony Vaio and then search the internet for a new one to retro fit it. No doubt that it won't be possible without upgrading my current system. I should've thought about all this before buying it. Sorry for all the time I'm taking from you guys answering and once again thanks for all your input and information.

Regards

Bob

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

Now you are getting into murky waters !  First, let me make my position clear - I am not a lawyer of any sort and especially not a copyright lawyer so anything I say here is a mixture of belief and opinion !

There is a long standing position that if you buy a piece of software or a CD, DVD etc you are entitled to make one copy as back up against the possibility of corruption or damage but that that copy is not for use, merely protection.  However, when CDs were developed nobody anticipated that every Tom, Dick and Harry with a burner would be able to make copies to their hearts' content, so when DVDs were developed so was DRM (Digital rights maintenance). There used to be a piece of software called 'DVD Decrypter' which used the ability of a computer's DVD player in a modified form to remove the DRM from DVDs so they could be copied. The author lost a final court case over the legality of this application about 10 years ago.

Blu-rays, as far as I know, use an even more complex form of DRM. Doubtless they can be ripped but I don't know how and even if I did I could not advise on how to do it. Apart from anything else - I don't have any !

As I understand your last post, you want to copy blu-rays to your external drive so to watch them on devices which don't have a blu-ray player. I would have to ask 'Why bother?'. There are plenty of external players available, just google 'external blu-ray players', and these should work on virtually any modern device - including TVs - that have a USB input. Yes, you would have to move the player around instead of streaming it but this seems a minor inconvenience.

I note external players are available from a wide range of makers and at an equally wide range of prices so you should be able to find something to meet your needs. I think this would be your simplest solution.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users